Up and coming event

I have been sober for 57 days. I feel really strong at the moment, I know it’s early days.
My son gets married in 5 weeks and I am struggling with the thought that I may relapse. Does anyone have any advice they could share please. X

1 Like

Anyone can relapse any day of the week. If we should worry about that we may as well start using again since it will drive us insane. It’s good to keep it in mind that the possibility exists though. All you can do is decide for yourself not to use and focus on today and try to minimise any chance that may cause a relapse. You got this I believe in you and and congrats with the wedding!

3 Likes

Thank you.
I think I’m apprehensive as this is going to be the first function/occasion I will be attending and not drinking. X

1 Like

hi izzy. i got to 83 days last friday and had a similar thing cause a relapse. i had a friend visiting from far away on my bday. i found i started getting panicky a few weeks before and found my addiction voice got stronger and louder than before. i got some help from a professional to ease my mind. i was fine until the day before and then by the time the day came i was exhausted from anxiety and stress from the lead up and the voice got loud again. i caved in as i found i wasnt present at a special event, i was instead in my head fighting the urge. ill be seeking help this coming week from a few trusted sources and will pass on what i learn and what works for me if u like as your situation sounds identical to mine.

My Son gets married this Friday. I have no fear of relapse. My love for my son is greater than any temptation to drink. It is his and his new bride’s day, not mine.

Decide to be sober for your son and his bride, and then be sober for them. It is that simple.

4 Likes

here’s a few tips on attending big drinking events that i can offer you

1. drive yourself so you always have a way out if things get too overwhelming, even if its just for a few minutes, knowing that my car is there and i can leave anytime i want always helps ease my mind.

2. always have some sort of non alcoholic drink with you. Myself, i like to drink lacroix, or any other sparkling water with a lime in it. If you have a full drink in your hands at all times, then less people will ask you if you want a drink

3. have someones number you trust on speed dial. Make sure you have someone you can call in case you feel like your under too much pressure. going to a wedding, especially your sons wedding, with just a few months sober could easily become overwhelming.

4. Enjoy yourself and remind yourself that you will be able to remember the whole wedding by the time its all over. You will make great memories with your son and his wife and you wont have to worry about saying the next day “i wish i didnt do that or this”

Have fun, and enjoy the wedding. Also the forum is always open, keep the app open on your phone and read though it when your there if needed.

4 Likes

That’s what mental strength gets you. Decide to be strong, and then be strong.

2 Likes

So what I have heard from other people before me is to do the ceremony, stay for dinner then high tail it outta there. I know it’s your son’s wedding, but if you want to survive to see grandchildren you may have to make a sacrifice this time around. If you explain it to your son so that he understands because in the end sobriety has to come first

1 Like

Lady…I like the way you think.

1 Like

As long as I don’t pick up the that first drink I can’t get drunk. I’m finding that through working a program, I am able to handle situations that used to baffle me. The 2nd step seemed to really help me

1 Like

I second all of the tips @Steve92 provided. Especially the non-alcoholic drinks. Make absolutely sure there will be something to drink there (that does not have alcohol) that you REALLY like, and make sure to always have one in your hand. Also, are there going to be people there, other than your son and his bride, who know you’re not drinking? If not, bring someone. Having someone there to be accountable to helps a lot. Plus, they can make sure you always have a non-alcoholic drink in your hand. Even better if that person is sober too! So, arranging a sober buddy beforehand might help a lot.

2 Likes