Up and down can't stop at one

I don’t crave alcohol. I just can’t stop at one or two when I do drink. I’m frustrated. I used to go months without drinking and only having one or two was fine. Then, I went through a difficult divorce. She cheated with married fraternity brother. We have 3 kids.

8 Likes

Well if you don’t crave it and can’t stop one you start my advice would be don’t start. Alcohol problems don’t get better with time if you keep drinking. Best wishes.

8 Likes

I can relate to this. When I started seeing the drinking becoming a problem. That’s really good though that you can see the difference how you used to go a couple months with just a few but now you see that changing. Best thing would be just to not do it at all. I had to find other ways to fill my time that were more healthy. And at first when I stopped I really crave sugar, I also remember being frustrated trying to understand why I can’t enjoy this like I used to And knowing that it creates problems. I would just keep reaching out on here. And just go with your gut And things will come together. You’re already making steps In the right direction

2 Likes

If you start turning to alcohol whenever you’re dealing with pain and anger, your brain starts making connections. Then you start to associate comfort with alcohol and the rest is an uphill battle. Basically what I’m dealing with now. I try to keep myself distracted by working out, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff I love. It’s hard to find enthusiasm when shit hits the fan but sometimes you have to train yourself to get it back. Highly recommend therapy. Good luck man

1 Like

That sure is tough. A traumatic experience can certainly worsen drinking. They do say the first drink is the most important. Remember how once that first drink is in u, u lose the ability to control it, and say ‘no’ to that first drink.

1 Like

My addiction built up slowly. The more you use the worse it gets. I read the other posts and it’s true. Your brain changes the more you use. I was the same I never craved it but when I did drink I just couldn’t stop when I started, but I never had cravings if I wasn’t drinking. That was when I was 16 years old -33 years old. Then I was in a car accident and having some other personal issues I started using alcohol for pain management and anxiety. It’s snowball from there pretty much drinking every night for the last 10 years getting worse and worse every time I drink… Turning into somebody I never thought I’d be.
If you can stop now and save yourself from the road that I went down that would be amazing and I think you’re in the right place :heart:

1 Like