Upcoming trip, major trigger

So unexpectedly, I’m flying out for work somewhere. It’s at the end of a day, so ordinarily seems like a great excuse to drink on the train. In the airport. On the plane. At the hotel. Ugh.

Only strangers around. Nobody will probably know.

Something about business travel and having been in consulting makes it seem okay. It’s part of the culture. Work hard play hard.

Well not this time. God forbid I might get a nice dinner and go sight seeing.

1 Like

Hey if your company is paying, order some room service and new movie to watch in your room. If it’s a nice hotel hit the gym and sauna.

4 Likes

Dont think of it as a trigger. Think of of it as a stressor. Triggers force action. Stressors are situations. Easier to defeat a stressor. You can change a situation. Get on here and B.S., text a sober friend, play a mindless game on your phone, read a book. Engaging the brain can lessen a stressor

6 Likes

Thanks. It’s embarrassing how many times I’ve gone out by myself in another city, farted around until 2am, come in smelling like booze. Silly twenty something!

Those days are hell. Sitting through 8 hours hating life.

You’re right though, I need to learn how to relax. I’ve avoided travel because I tend to drink and ruin trips.

1 Like

Early on in my free time i learned a lot of diy projects. Why? It took time to research, took time to make…and it was actually fun. I dusted off my naval engineering books and drew up plans for a small 4 person boat. (I didnt trust my engineering skills so I never built it). It was fun designing something like that. Basically, just relearning how to relax.

Depriving myself out of a chance to be too hung over to enjoy myself, or get into trouble. I need to get it out of my filthy head that not drinking on a trip is weird. It’s the norm! Certainly not getting drunk.

4 Likes

100% correct.

1 Like

Behave yourself

1 Like

@Nullcorp No one will know…but you will know. Be true to yourself. Keep us posted with what happens.