Update for Guideline 8

We’ve clarified Guideline 8 of the Rules and Guidelines.

8. This is not a marketplace, self-promotion, or fundraising platform. Do not list or attempt to sell services or raise money. Don’t post spam, auto-generated content, employ bots of any kind, or otherwise vandalize the forum.

We’ve recently seen the use of artificial intelligence (AI) for posting auto-generated content. Talking Sober is a place for and by humans in recovery. We consider AI posting spam and a violation of trust in the forum.

If you believe you see an artificial post, please notify the moderators by flagging or by private message to @moderators.

16 Likes

How do we know you’re not a bot :thinking::face_with_monocle:

9 Likes

:person_shrugging: Not so sure myself most days. :thinking:

7 Likes

This post created by a human analogue meat popsicle

4 Likes

Curious question

I generally shy away from posting in the music threads my own band, mainly cause I do get a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a cent when people listen,

I share it as fruits of my labor, but I hesitate cause of the fact that it does actually generate income even tho it’s minuscule. This place is my solace not my money pump

Go or No Go?

9 Likes

Not a moderator here :sweat_smile:
But my opinion is: share info on your band when asked ? That way it isn’t really promoting it, only sharing more info to someone who’s interested in knowing more. Maybe in the inbox option?

Of course, just my opinion, but following for clarity too :smiling_face:

2 Likes

It’s a gray area, yeah. Considerate of you to ask.

Generally for active, contributing members of the community, we don’t sweat people posting the works of their sobriety once in a while.

Unless it turns into fundraising or, “Hey guys, come buy my album! Follow me on the socials! Don’t forget to subscribe!”

But c’mon, we didn’t get sober to be miserable, and it’s cool to share what we’re doing.

On the flip side, we’ve had people sign up purely to promote themselves or a cause with hardly more than a hello. That’s a big no from me, dog.

Not a hard/fast rule here, but you’re probably fine.

13 Likes

Thanks for asking!! Not a place for self promotion is a Rule. Generally, as Eke said, we come down hard on those who sign up specifically to promote…big no no. Dropping your band in the music thread, without a promotion piece attached seems benign to me. Tho a flag for self promotion could be upheld in theory. Just my opinion without discussing amongst the moderators.

:blush:

4 Likes

I always think back to the dude who wanted to write the book :rofl:

8 Likes

Oh God….I forgot about the book!!

3 Likes

I believe someone bought the book. I think it was @les??

4 Likes

:eyes:  

3 Likes

Ah, was it you?

2 Likes

I sure did!

8 Likes

Just found mine recently. Never even opened it all this time.

3 Likes

We’re gonna need an honest review

4 Likes

What the what?!? There was an actual book after all?!!!

1 Like

Wait….the book was actually written?? I should buy it. I mean he figured it all out, right??

4 Likes

You might mean the guy who had a website and wanted to tell everyone how to get sober? Dunno about that guy.

There’s an older book. Shame the guidelines dictate no promotion. :innocent:

3 Likes