UPDATE: THEY CLOSED MY DEPARTMENT, laid off 90+ people. I'm going to get fired?.... not for drinking... for being me

UPDATE #2 in case i wasn’t clear… i was laid off too. UPDATE: This morning i clocked in, said hello in chat to let them know im here, saw a mandatory meeting invite…

Within the first 30 seconds of opening the meeting they said our entire department was being eliminated. 90+ people. Even senior staff and leads.

I will not let this push me backwards. Im three weeks sober. Ive come too far too let this destroy me.

So I am 2 weeks sober and last Friday my boss had a meeting with me that if I get one more bad incident report, I’m fired. my job performance is good, but zoom meeting behavior… so i say something that someone gets offended by I’m out. so that stress is really high and today we just had a meeting that they are not doing raises promotions Christmas bonuses or gifts. Another member of my team was suddenly removed from the chat and now we’re having an office meeting at 12:30 today. (I have two teams because im on loan. we are so slow they are looking for reasons to fire people. My anxiety is pretty high for me, only gab is keeping me sane right now.

16 Likes

I would look for another job unless you’re being crude and you are actually the problem. What art types of things are you saying that offends people? A toxic work environment can really put stress on your happiness.

Congrats on 2 weeks btw!

11 Likes

It sounds toxic there.

Keep yourself on mute. Just say yes and no

9 Likes

100%!! That’s what I do, answer with yes or no unless I’m asked to elaborate. My work environment has some toxicity to it also. Now if they could make something for my facial expressions lol

9 Likes

Well, you could wear a mask…tell them you are quarantining. :blush::wink:

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: I work from home

2 Likes

Pretend you have house mates you need to quarantine from.

And @WriterJennifer, that does sound stressful. A hangover will not help that stress at all…so you are on the right path there.

Maybe there are less toxic workplaces that would value your contributions more. Never hurts to look around.

6 Likes

No one can tell you what is right for you, but life is short, and there are always ways to make money if you are willing to work for it. Try not to stay stuck somewhere that makes your life harder than it needs to be.

2 Likes

Without knowing all the details well it’s hard to say

I tend to be a bit outspoken but my boss likes me so it’s, we’ll he’s an asshole don’t worry you’ll get used to it. My job performance also helps.

How long have you worked with the company? A lot of companies are not giving out raises, or bonuses due to inflation hitting their bottom line and investors fleeing from the market out of fear.

It could be a toxic workplace, where dismissing employees for small things makes it easier to shed payroll, by making someone else pick up the slack instead of hiring a replacement.

Worse case put your resume out there on indeed, linked in whichever, maybe you’ll get a call for the greener pastures you may seek

On the other hand congrats on the 2 weeks, even if life is feeling shitty, it feels way worse when a hangover is attached to it

4 Likes

Definitely be looking for another job. That’s a very toxic situation, and it will be hard to stay sober if you stay there long term. I had to quit my very stressful job when I got sober in March 2019. Best decision I ever made.

3 Likes

No, i mentioned that the feds are raising interest rates 10 times this year (were in real estate) so i will affect business, they called that political therefore inappropriate. I got a written warning for that. I showed off my cool coffee cup during a moment of downtime, and that was what she mentioned Friday. She said if a higher up had been in the meeting i would have been fired 3 weeks ago. I’m starting look. My sons job is hiring like crazy and i could get a referral and the pay is almost the same.

5 Likes

Yeah, so hard to remember… but I’ll try.

Lol. Pretend to be taking notes and mostly looking down? But be sure they see the pen scribbling so they can’t say I’m on a phone. Lol

Me too. So i could get fired over my behavior during 15 minutes a day

Yeah. I have to say, i didn’t get a craving for a shot. Never crossed my mind. I was just so happy to have the gab to keep me from completely flipping out anxiety style. I call that a huge win, even with all the negativity of the situation

3 Likes

I hear you. Before this i was (still am) trying to convince my husband to sell the house and go cross country in the rv for a living (social media style).

I’d probably just stop popping off at the mouth with thing you know they aren’t going to be happy about, and keep to myself, including sharing questionable coffee mugs, opinions, etc. If you can afford to be let go, enjoy! If not. I’d just sit back and take it in.

1 Like

Yeah, go the last part… i physically feel so much better. I didn’t carve alcohol… so I’m a little surprised at that. I thought the company was good. Was a temp 6 months, got hired perm right as we started to get slow. It’s real estate industry, so we went from hiring like crazy and ot to no more hiring to letting the tempms go to firing people for minor cause in the year I’ve been with them. My team lead, after removing another coworker, got us together to tell us they aren’t trying to fire people… but she forgot she told me on Friday that she was getting in trouble for NOT recommending termination for people on her team… i can put 2 and 2 together.

1 Like

I have a back up plan, finances are good, so we can make it till i get another job, and i my sons office is hiring so he can refer me, that might be a good option

3 Likes

It wasn’t questionable… she said it was distracting… during downtime. Ok. Yeah… i need to try to just not share… but it’s so hard.

2 Likes