Using weed to control anxiety is a way to get sober some day?🤔

Using weed to control anxiety is a way to get sober some day?:thinking:

I doubt it. Weed gives you anxiety and makes you paranoid, plus it’s addictive. You’re just replacing one addiction with another.

The best idea is to see your doctor about anxiety and just get sober. That’s what I’ve done and I was 3 years sober yesterday.

7 Likes

Depends on type of weed some does cure nausia n anxiety… i took cymbalta… it what ever works for you to stay clean. We all recover in diff ways shapes and forms. I wish you luck

1 Like

Thanks for the tip Donnie. What is Cymbalta?

Neto, everyone is different. My problem is alcohol addiction. I can’t control my drinking do i choose not to drink at all. Cannabis is something I’ve always enjoyed in small amounts, and it helps me with anxiety, depression, stress, pain, insomnia, etc. The question to ask yourself is do you use cannabis abusively. I really think it can benefit many people because, as my doctor puts it, it’s harm reduction.

3 Likes

The only way to be clean and sober, is to be clean and sober. There are medically accepted ways to treat anxiety and depression that don’t involve intoxicants.

3 Likes

This is outdated thinking, reinforced by AA and other 12 step programs. Secular groups like Smart Recovery are more open minded and realize everyone is not the same. I am 61 and know what works for me. Besides alcohol, my system won’t tolerate most pharmaceuticals. Cannabis can be a wonderful and life saving alternative.

3 Likes

I smoked for a few months when I quit alcohol but found out that when I quit smoking too my head became a whole lot clearer. Also I can apply to any job I want to now and not worry about a stupid drug test. My friend let me use his vape that he filled with CBD and it was actually pretty effective. It’s oil extracted from the cannabis plant without any THC in it. It kind of just mellows you out, kind of like taking melatonin or something similar.

3 Likes

What about CBD oil instead? There’s no THC in that but is supposed to be good for anxiety.

3 Likes

CBD is great, just a bit pricey.

2 Likes

I agree with @Yoda-Stevie. Clean and sober is the way to go. I take Neurontin for my anxiety. It’s actually used as a seizure medication but doesnt cause you to have the high or balloon head. My MD gave my Cymbalta but because im bi polar it would actually fuel my manic episodes so i had to go see an actual psychiatrist to get on the right meds.

1 Like

Milestone high five!

1 Like

I dont like to discourage people by saying they are not sober if they smoke weed or take medication like suboxone, methadone to stay clean. I know most meetings kinda frown upon it and want pure abstinance. I can function on weed myself and not affect life. Weed is medically helpping and curing patients everday. Even some rehabs have used weed to help addicts. You dont see a doc prescribing you a beer or a handle of captain though… so if it helps u from your doc i say go for it! I feel like it has made me relapse before as people discouraged me and said ur not clean because your on suboxone…to each thier own…

2 Likes

Definitively NO. Weed is drug

Not true… outdated thinking

Keep in mind that medical marijuana and recreational marijuana are very different. Medical marijuana has lower levels of THC. It is because they know that the medical benefits are not about being intoxicated. Some THC can be beneficial but the stuff you get recreationally specifically wants to get you a good high do you’ll want to buy more.

1 Like

You can definately buy differant strands of herb on the street too. Or even have your own homegrown… they wouldnt recreationalize weed if it was killing people… i would say alcohol kills more then weed… carry on… lol

1 Like

Sure. “They”, meaning the government wouldn’t possibly legalize something in order to tax it if it were detrimental to human beings. I mean it’s not as if alcohol, tobacco, and gambling are hurting anyone, right? It’s not like there are people on this forum struggling to quit smoking weed, tobacco, and booze, not to mention heroin, meth, and drugs I’ve had to look up on the Internet to see what they are.

What if I went to rehab for alcohol? Would to counselors there permit me to toke up?

OP asked for opinions. Mine is self-medicating with potentially harmful substances is a bad idea. It would be as bad an idea as me deciding to use heroin to quit drinking. I suspect deep down inside, OP suspects this too, which is why the question was asked.

1 Like

Its all true… i agree.if we were in prohibition days alcoholics would make thier own or buy on the black market… look at big pharma who lobbied and hooked most us addicts legally the gov cut it off. Everyone has thier controls and thier king doc… if you google weed is used in alcohol n opiate rehabs…ha not that its the correct way. But thier are always more then one way to skin a cat… even using these drugs to aid. you need to go over the steps to see if it becomes a problem or trading one habit for another which never ends well.

Agree trading habits isn’t the best way.

Clean and Sober is “the way”.

Free your mind, your ass will follow.

1 Like