Vitamins, help please!

Thank you!

1 Like

I might have to try online!

1 Like

There’s some info about thiamine here (also spelled “thiamin”). This site confirms that “thiamin” is also known as B1:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/thiamin-healthprofessional/

Keep looking, speak with one or more pharmacies, and you’re sure to find it eventually.

1 Like

My doc suggested taking a B-complex vitamin which has several types of B vitamins, including thiamine.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone! I’m just trying to help my body and brain recover from this last drinking spell! You all have been very helpful!

1 Like

Look for a B Complex. That should have a mix of 3 different B vitamins. B12 is the only one I’ve seen sold on it’s own.

A good multivitamin should also be sufficient unless you’ve had blood work that specifically shows a deficiency in something.

Good luck

2 Likes

I’ve had a deficiency of potassium and thiamine, 2 seperate times. Plus my brother is a nurse and specifically mentioned the thiamine.

2 Likes

Good!! I get worried when people take vitamins without knowing what is needed because too much of a good thing can be bad. (And I am guilty of this ALL THE TIME!!)

Talk to your doctor about your blood work. They can probably help you will the right dosage etc.

:grinning:

2 Likes

I had the blood work done in the er, while detoxing 2 seperate times. But my ankles are swollen and I asked him why. He specifically said thiamine!

1 Like

Hi Becky, it’s good to have a healthy diet including healthy intake of vitamins. Good general life habit there.

But adding vitamins to your routine isn’t going to fix this. At most it’s a placebo - it’s a placeholder, a replacement for the real solution.

Looking back at your history of posts here since you joined a year ago, you have a pattern of going a month, a couple weeks, sometimes longer than a month, then relapsing. Then you go to the ER or to see a doctor, then you rest and recover for a bit (again, a week maybe, sometimes longer), then the cycle repeats. That’s basically it. It’s a loop for you. (And the fundamental reason your legs are swollen is the booze. Cut that out and the problem is solved. The thiamine is not a magic solution to this.)

Something needs to change or the cycle will continue.

Take a close look at the things you’ve shared here:

You have intense withdrawal symptoms, and you are self-medicating with more booze. (You share about that here.) You say there that you’re trying to wean off because you can’t go to a hospital, because you have young children. In fact, what you should do is exactly the opposite. To take the advice from the Health site of the government of South Australia (a reliable source I found that explains this for us in simple language): “Worsening withdrawal at three to 10 days after the person’s last drink may indicate onset of delirium tremens (a medical emergency). Urgent transfer to hospital is recommended” (Alcohol withdrawal management | SA Health). That pattern - worsening withdrawal at 3-10 days - is exactly what has been happening with you. Just take a look at all the threads you’ve shared about your cycle of going back to booze, to treat your withdrawal. It’s always 3-10 days after your last drink; it’s the cycle of alcohol withdrawal.

You said in your thread I linked above that you believe you can’t go to rehab because you have young kids.

That is false. You’re lying to yourself.

You may feel like you need to stay, but the truth is, the relatively short time you invest in the rehab work (a few months) pays off with decades of meaningful presence in your children’s and grandchildren’s lives. (Whereas if you don’t take time to make real change in yourself and for yourself, you risk becoming more and more alienated from your children as they grow up and your drunk behaviour is firmly set in their mind as “that’s just my mom, that’s what she does”. There are mothers here on Talking Sober who share the heartbreak of being asked to stay away from high school grad ceremonies and other significant events. That’s a heavy price to pay, and it’s not necessary to pay it; it just requires some rehab work now.)

You’ve shared about your supportive husband. Leave the kids with him. You’ve said his work schedule can be a challenge at times. Fine. You guys have friends, maybe family, aunties; heck maybe you have trusted people in a church congregation if you go there. You and/or your husband need to ask for help from one or more of the people who care about you, some kind of combination of people (including your husband obviously) who are taking care of the kids.

The only thing keeping you stuck is your own fears, your own sense that it has to be you, no one else can care for my kids. That false belief is literally killing you.

Get rehab:

Break the cycle, take the time to heal now so you can be there with your kids for the times that matter - because if you don’t, you risk a far worse, desperate, heartbreaking cost for your relationship in the future.

4 Likes

Thank you for your honesty Matt and you’re 100% correct. I’m working on my spiritual, mental and emotional health this time. No excuses, just actions. I dont want to be a drunk Mom.

Sounds good.

Are you gonna go to rehab?

1 Like

I take

• Strong B complex
  • Omega 3 and fish oil

If you exercise and eat properly there is no need for vitamins- I don’t eat properly so I definitely need to take them :rofl:

2 Likes

No, but I’m starting CBT

What are you going to do about the physical withdrawal? What medical and addiction-recovery- specific supports will you have to protect against going back to the alcohol self-medicating / relapse loop?

The relapsing is happening because you have created a physical problem. CBT is a psychological tool, not a physical tool. You need a physical, medical tool, and you need it to be more directly, specifically related to addiction recovery. (Also, you’ve tried CBT before, as you share here, and you continued relapsing. The solution you’re looking for is probably not CBT; if it were, it would have worked already.)

1 Like

I started a medication that will make me sick if I drink. I also didn’t give CBT a real try. I will be tho this time. I’m through most of the physical, its the cravings that I need to ignore

3 Likes

I tried medication to stop drinking too. It didn’t work for me but it has for plenty of others. I wasn’t ready/willing to put in any work so I just stopped taking it. On the other hand, I used Chantix to help me stop smoking cigarettes. It took me two rounds (only 1 relapse of a month) to stop smoking. The difference for me was I wanted to quit smoking but I didn’t want to quit drinking.

I find for me cravings stem mostly from boredom so I fill my time. I go to bed early and I don’t drink. I’ve just been stepping in the footsteps of the people with all the wisdom here. One day at a time. One hour if need be.
Each day is a victory. Celebrate making through the day with a new bedtime routine. I like to end my day by putting my phone away and reading for 30 minutes or an hour.
It takes 21 day to make/break a habit. By replacing drinking with something positive maybe in 21 days instead of returning to booze you will have found a healthy habit you enjoy.

Rehab or not you have this and can do it.

1 Like

I get this. Some of early recovery is physical but the rest is all mental. So… imagine if your kids kept pestering you to buy them _____, but you knew they shouldn’t get it. What would you say to them?

Face yourself with the same resolve and you have your answer.

Juice greens and fruits for vitamins. Most vitamins you have no clue what you’re getting

1 Like

I found it on Amazon.