Wanting to be sober

Hi,I’m Paul,48 and have drunk since i was 16. I guesse im what they call a functional alcoholic. Ive always worked long hours and in a stressful job. Recently ive had un rellated health issues,mainly due to smoking which ive now stopped,but i know my drinking is also a issue. My goal everyday is to get my work done then i feel i need to have a drink,but i have to keep going until everything ive brougt has gone,over the coarse of a week that could be 50 cans of larger. I know this has to stop and im willing to just how to get the support preferable on line to keep me in check. Any suggestions greatfully recieved.

6 Likes

Go to a meeting and definitely stay on here it helps immensely

I’m going to a meeting monday evening ,its a scarey thought,part of my issue not liking ,people,so alcohol makes it more bearable,not the ideal way to be having a aa meeting full of stangers to go to!lol

1 Like

Hi Paul.
I think first you have to stop seeing alcohol as a “reward”. Reading some quit lit (The Naked Mind / The Easy Way to Quit Alcohol) will help you to see that alcohol is a poison that does way more harm than good. Findother ways to reward yourself! That truly are a treat for your body or mind. A massage, nice food, a trip to the cinema, etc.

2 Likes

Hi,thankyou for your reply, how did you find meetings?, at the moment that is scaring me more than stopping the drinking!

https://aa-intergroup.org/

You can find online meetings here. They can be a gentle way to start. You can keep camera off and just listened until to get confidence.
This is just for AA, you can also googe for SMART, Recovery Dharma, etc.

2 Likes

I callee myself a functional alcoholic for a long time. I guess it made me feel better. Then someone told me that functional is a pretty low standard. For a human being, functional equals just being alive. There is more to life than just breathing.

For me, that really got me thinking aboit my life and while I was alive…I wasnt living.

6 Likes

Hey Paul
This is a great community to be active in - read the threads and engage. Loads of great advice and support here.
Checking in daily to maintain focus #57
is a great thread to post on daily or multiple times in a day to hold yourself accountable and possibly get others input on your day to day struggles.
If you are not able to do in person meetings - so many on line meetings are available that run 24 hours a day. You can do with your camera and audio off until you feel comfortable.
This is a hard enough journey and one which we can’t do alone - the more support you obtain the easier it will be. I am not sure about finding sponsor’s from on line meetings - it would be better to get one that you connect with from an in person meeting so that you can meet up and have irl support.

I have found that the key is to change up your routines and habits so you do not fall into the “i need a drink” stinky thinking routine. Take up hobbies or join groups that will keep you busy and clear of triggers.
Possibly will also need to change up social circles also to avoid triggers.
This is to get you on your sober feet and gain days till you feel strong enough to not feel triggered in those surroundings.
The main thing to remember is that our addict brain will always try to convince us that “just one” is ok - we are unable to engage in this behavior. Do what you must to protect your sobriety.
This truly is an amazing community - hope to see you around.

Think i put my last coment wrong, i have found a meeting to go to,litterly just up the road from me. What i ment was how do people find the experience?Not be8ng a people person a group of stangers scares me as much as the thought of not drinking !lol