Weight gain after quitting alcohol

Im about 2 weeks sober and have noticed that my bp and my pulse are way better i gained about 3lbs is this normal? I thought quitting drinking would make me lose weight because less calories.

6 Likes

It was normal for me. I craved sweets…the way I saw it…it was far better than drinking. Give youraelf time, it will evem itself out.

8 Likes

I think some people lose weight and others gain weight when they quit. I personally gained weight because I developed a sweet tooth, but also was eating regular meals again - when drinking, alcohol hit faster on an empty stomach and being hangover left me with little apetite :confused: I agree with @Thirdmonkey that it will level itself out with time.
Congratulations on your sober progress :raised_hands:

5 Likes

I lost 10 pounds in the first 3 weeks and have been maintaining.

Which is surprising since I can’t stop eating. I think alcohol broke my stomach sensors and I never feel full.

1 Like

Ive been sober for 5 months before that time i had lost 30lbs prior to quitting drinking but ive gained 15lbs back since I quit drinking. This new situation is not helping me with my sobriety :pensive:

2 Likes

I feel ya! When I quit, I went to the gym almost every day, I started cooking my own meals, didn’t eat added sugar, heck, I even quit caffeine!

I was also unemployed, so I had the time to focus on myself 100%.

At 6 months sober, I went back to work and gained it ALL back over the next 2 years.

Im currently in weightloss mode and on the right path.

I think a lot of people assume that since alcohol is generally high calorie that when we quit we will loose weight, but that’s usually not the case.

When I drank, I rarely ate, it would “ruin my buzz”, and I drank all the time. When I quit, I started eating, and eventually I caved to the sweet craving. I was consuming a lot more calories than before.

One simple thing you can do is track your food, either via app or notebook. This will give you an idea of daily calorie intake and macro nutrient intake as well. Once you see it written out for days or weeks, you will likely find many areas of improvement!

Be well.

1 Like

For me i dropped weight when i stopped drinking. However my liver was also failing. So i had a change of diet and exercise in additoon to quitting.

1 Like