Welcome. welcome, new members

Let’s start by saying Happy New Year to one and all. And Welcome to all new members who have decided to better themselves.
Take a moment to think on those words:
" Better yourself "
Because this is what you are doing, working on making a better you!
My advice to you would be to write down now, all the reasons why you have decided to make this journey, because that’s what it is, a journey.
Write down all the bad things that your drug of choice has done to you!
And keep that safe for future reference.
You will need it to remind yourself when the going gets tough, which it will.
There is a saying, one of many that you will come across:- It will get harder before it gets better!
Also, read as much as you can, with reading come knowledge and knowledge is a powerful tool!
This app is brilliant, at your fingertips is so much information and support if you use it right. If you have any questions, use the magnifying glass to search for it. I can guarantee that whatever you want to know has been covered at least once on this site. So perhaps before you start a new topic, search your inquiry first. It’s always benifitial to everyone to bring back old threads.
Search the internet, YouTube, read books arm yourself!
Look up AA, SMART, Refuge Recovery etc. These are groups of people who have been or who are like you, starting off. These are the people you need to be mixing with. Yes you will probably find it easier if you stay away from people and places that are associated with your doc. Take it from me, it’s hard to be sober if you carry on going to the club, bars, pubs.
Another saying:- if you sit in a barbers long enough you’ll get a haircut.
And thus brings us to the important bit as far as I’m concerned.
Be prepared to get uncomfortable!!
If you don’t feel comfortable with some advice it’s probably worth trying it.
We have spent too long in a nice cosy comfort blanket. Nothings gonna change if you stay nice and warm. We need to get out there and work for our sobriety.
It doesn’t just happen by stopping!
For the next few months your sobriety needs to be put above everything else in your life. First and foremost, you much protect it!
For me by doing this, by not doing anything that I thought might jeopardize my sobriety I have managed to get to a point where I am comfortable with hanging out with mates in pubs. But I spent a good part of this last year listening to how I felt. If I didn’t feel comfortable, I didn’t do it.
Last piece of advice, you are allowed to have fun! We are not loosing anything, we are not missing out on anything, we are eventually going to gain so much more from life, if we work it now in our early days.
This time last year I was 3/4 months sober, life felt so hard sometimes, fighting with myself to not drink.
Most days these days I can get through without even thinking about drinking, now that, compared to where I was, is a win to me.
Once upon a time, drinking was my life, from the moment I woke up till the moment I went to sleep. I was never far away from a drink. I obsessed about it. Now through over a year of hard work I can honestly say I’m happy I’m a non-drinker.
I’m happy with my freedom!

Now I’m not very techy minded and I know there are guys out there that have all sorts of valid info bookmarked, so if you guys would like to add any relavant info, threads, whatever that may be of benefit to us, or anything that I have missed that you feel is relavant, please, feel free to post.
Once again welcome to your future people.
And thanks for reading.:metal:

28 Likes

What is Refuge Recovery? This was an awesome post. :wink:

1 Like

I’m not familiar personally, Google it I know it’s on there.
Thank you @ReneeAnn.

Interesting but not up my alley.

Refuge Recovery: A Buddhist Path to Recovering from Addiction https://g.co/kgs/HBajY4

The most important thing for me was a trip to the Gp to discuss medication (very out of my comfort zone but a huge part of my sobriety) and then a trip to Alcohol Services to find myself a Keyworker and an amazing counsellor who helped me address the ‘whys’ about my drinking

3 Likes

My collection so far, more to be added

Should we merge the threads? I don’t know if a mod needs to do that or if regulars can

2 Likes

Getting sober was " not up my alley " once upon a time! I had to be prepared to try absolutely anything whether I thought I’d like it or not!
And I still am if I feel I need to. So far what I’m doing seems to be sticking
But I wouldn’t be afraid to go anywhere, even stand on my head in a bucket of shit if someone told me it would work.
I’m currently reading the Refuge Recovery book. Cheap on kindle.
Just saying.

2 Likes

Thanks Shell.

I don’t know myself.

Excellent post by my dearest friend. Happy New year to you Geoff x

1 Like

Thanks so much for this @anon12657779. I’m 15 hours from my first sober week. Last night I had my first “drinking dreams”. Was at the bar with my husband and accidently picked up his beer instead of my soda and nearly had a panic attack!! lol I guess that is just reassurance that my head is in the right place.
Last night was my first big challenge. Friday night after an especially stressful day at work, my normal behavior would be to start drinking early knowing I’d put away enough to leave the whole conscious week behind me and slip into oblivion. INSTEAD, I went on a brisk walk and hubby and I made a Costco run. SO much better. I was so proud of myself I even allowed a piece of 700 calorie Costco Combo Pizza for dinner! Bam! lol Ok, so today back to my 1200 calories.

So grateful for this community and I am looking forward to getting to know all of you as obviously a bunch of you already do.

7 Likes

How’re you finding the book so far Geoff? I’m checking it out on Amazon

1 Like

It’s ok.
It feels like they have taken the 12 steps of AA and applied Buddhist principles to them.
Obviously a lot of what the Buddha actually said didn’t really apply to recovery, so they are adapting.
Certainly giving me another angle.
More ammunition, so to speak.

3 Likes

Well done Nancy.
Yes a lot of what we have to do is just think differently about things. Old routines like going for a drink can be replaced with new ones like going to Costco. The shopping is out of the way then, the rest of the weekend is yours.:metal:

1 Like

We’re so proud of you too @NancyH. You’re doing all the right things which shows you really want this new life. We’re all here cheering you on. Please continue to check in with us. Happy to have you as a part of this wonderful community. :hugs:

2 Likes

@anon12657779 this is a very good welcoming!!!

1 Like

(Refuge Recovery now Recovery Dharma.)

Nice post, @anon12657779. Carry on! :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you so much @Lisa07!! I need all the support I can get!!!

3 Likes

Merging is a mod thing only. And here i was looking for more!

2 Likes

Im reading “How to Quit Like a Woman” and am receiving some great insights even though I’m a man!

3 Likes