Well I relapsed šŸ« 

Stay strong! Iā€™m on day 4 and for a minute I was like damn I canā€™t to go home and have a drink but then I was like nah. Came home took care of my dogs cooked steak and Brussels sprouts full af now sitting watching tv proud of myself. Iā€™ve been writing the day and a positive quote and putting it on my front door so itā€™s the last thing I see as motivation.

8 Likes

Day 5 is coming!

5 Likes

@Lolo4shodoe thank you :slight_smile:
Iā€™m almost at day 2 and already feeling so much better.
Iā€™m not even gonna dwell on the relapse now , it wasnā€™t worth beating myself up over this morning.

Maybe I needed to vent earlier , but I already feel so much better compared to this morning.

3 Likes

You got thisšŸ’ŖšŸ¼

2 Likes

Great to hear drew. Be proud of yourself!

2 Likes

If you like Annie Grace, she has a free program, 30 days of videos and reflections. I used that as a jumping point into sobriety.
Join The Alcohol Experiment Free! (thisnakedmind.com)

Relapses are not a given. They are common, and there is no need to overly beat yourself up over it, but they should be viewed seriously and learned from so that the likelihood of one occurring again is as small as possible. Remember, there is no telling where the end of the next relapse will be.

6 Likes

I got sober way before internet and your Alan Carrs or your Annie Graces , went to AA and i wanted to stay sober and was willing to do anything to do this and it worked 36 years plus and no relapses and i have friends who were with me on that journey who also havnt needed to relapse not saying everyone will but just to let you know that it is possible to stay sober for decades without going out to try it again .

8 Likes

I really like your thought process. Itā€™s just about starting again. Family is a big trigger for a lot of us. I avoided them when I did not feel strong enough. We have to be selfish with what we needā€”happy late birthday.
Feel better, my friend. Your totally worth it!

1 Like

That is awesome to hear Ray. You can be proud!

1 Like

Lower your expectations of others, and they can no longer disappoint you. Relapses donā€™t have to happen, and believing that they are inevitable gives unearned power to a self-fulfilling prophecy. Save high expectations for only those things for which you have complete and total control. In all others, especially those involving other people, keep your expectations low.

5 Likes

I have been sober for 7 months. I actually remember my withdrawal from alcohol before entering treatment for alcoholism. It was brutal, painful, and hard. I was so mad I put my body through that much pain and actually survived it. Afterwards, I regained my strength and reasons for sobriety at that particular moment. At first, I wanted to control my drinking. After treatment I learned the severity of my drinking and I wanted to quit. My mindset changed in a day. I thought the opportunities I missed and the adventures I havenā€™t taken or seen. I thought the pain and unhappiness I caused my husband and son, and the joy I brought to my drinking friends. I didnā€™t bring no happiness to myself. I found out I was people pleasing, overworking, and not thinking about myself. I was doing so much for others and didnā€™t do anything for me. This time itā€™s about me. I have learned you can be selfish in sobriety and my feelings only validate for me. I put my sobriety 1st. I got into Meditation, walking, and I also am enrolled in continuing care counseling. I received this coin my first 24 hours of treatment and was explained the One Day A Time! I replaced my watch for this medallion. Why? I take everyday One Day At A Time. I donā€™t have bad days, I have bad moments. I say okay I have a flat tireā€¦Higher Power wants me to take a break, chill out, call AAA and get the tire fixed. I have a negative thought and think about the negativity and put it into a positive perspective. Iā€™m less angry now, because I donā€™t have those around me to anger me. I deleted phone contacts of people that influenced my drinking, family who brings bad vibes, and ungrateful people. Those who donā€™t support me and my decision to remain sober do not get my attention :100:
Understand this: You Relaspe, you restart the clock and change your routine, mindset, thinking, attitude, and those around you. Some people donā€™t deserve the talk you trying to speak. Itā€™s okay! Get you another watch and take it One Day At A Time! #Godspeed :rose:

8 Likes

God bless you :pray::pray: thank you @IShell

1 Like

Iā€™ve never had a relapse. Iā€™ve been sober for four years. A relapse in my situation could literally equal death and same for most. Believing that relapse is part of recovery provides a convenient excuse for people who decide to relapse . Relapses donā€™t typically happen out of the blue eitherā€¦if you look deep enough, there are stages. First is usually some sort of emotional relapse, you typically feel negative, or depressed but you still want to stay sober. Second stage is cravings, reminisce about using, or looking for excuses to relapse. Believing relapse is part of recovery is a convenient excuse. You might decide youā€™ll have to relapse at some point anyway, so you might as well. Look for these signs next time and reach out. Might save you your life. Best of luck

9 Likes

@mleclaire I agree. I think this time I say no relapse. Letā€™s go! Almost on day 3 again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m guilty in a way for setting myself up !!!

1 Like

My birthday was earlier this month and at the time I was just over a month sober. It was a harder day than I expected, in weird ways. I have family triggers too and I basically made it through by holding on to the firm realization I had on January 5th, that the rest my life will be so much better if I never drink again. If I didnā€™t have that mentality I wouldnā€™t still be sober. That being said, I think itā€™s awesome and brave that you came back on here and openly shared the difficult time you had. It can be a tough balance to look at relapse as an event that only needs to throw you off as much as you allow it, vs a source of shame leading to giving up. Grounding yourself in serious self-compassion can be helpful- you can do this, you can still do this if you relapsed, but you deserve to never have to deal with a relapse again. Best wishes

3 Likes

I like your attitude. If you learn from your mistakes, youā€™ll become a better person

1 Like

@SGC1522 you shine light of a good soul even through your text messages. I barely know you, but thank you random online friend. :pray::slightly_smiling_face: Your wise and kind words are really brightening to my mindset.
I am at least prepared for my birthday next year , and at least now I learned . Like I said this was my first time attempting my birthday sober and going to see my family, so I can at least learn from this moving forward.

I am feeling more prepared for everything this time !

2 Likes

Anytime, new online friend! Iā€™m Sara. Iā€™m still really new to talking about this stuff openly with anyone, so this is helpful to me too!

2 Likes

Hey man,
I tell myself all the time relapses are part of recovery.
Its our subconcious mind tricking us into believing that you actually just want to drink.
The sooner we realise that it is our subconcious and learn to deal with the intrusive thoughts. The happier we become.
All the best in your journey brother