What 2 do to kill time while sober

Hi people, Im just tryna find things to do while sober. I usually drank at night, what else can i spend time on at night to help me get my thoughts off? Ive been cycling and walking recently, that helps a bitšŸ˜Œ

Where are you guys from if i may ask? Im curious! Im from the Netherlands by the wayšŸ˜Œ

3 Likes

Hello and welcome. I grew up in Arkansas, and have lived in Texas for 10 years now. I spend way too much time on here now,too.

1 Like

Ah Thats cool Im getting addicted to check this app haha

3 Likes

I spend LOTS of time on this app, get to a meeting once a day, workout, check in with sober friends, text other friends, reading/audio books, write letters, draw/paint cards, photograph birds.

I was in London for 15 years, now in Maine USA. :snowflake:ļø:snowflake:ļø:snowflake:ļø

3 Likes

Dont look at it as killing time. Do something you have always wanted to do. Take up a hobby, go back to school, learn a new language.

Also volunteer!! Service work is awesome.

7 Likes

A lot of us posted where we are from here: Recovery roll call Iā€™m from BC, Canada.

If you need to kill time with something distracting to get through it sober, then do that. Otherwise, I would suggest not thinking of it as ā€œhow do I kill time soberā€ as if it were an obstacle in your path, and instead practice thinking as someone whoā€™s not an alcoholic, seeing an opportunity: ā€œI have some time on my hands. What can I do with it?ā€

The answer there depends on what you value and what you enjoy. It might be a hobby, housework, socializing, etc. Getting a black belt, completing a renovation, taking classes, playing D&D every Wednesday with the kids and/or colleagues, whatever. Itā€™s a good time to rediscover your sober self and to get into activities and routines that you can make part of your everyday sober life going forward.

Edit: @Frank68 beat me to my thought :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply, Yes you are right, i dont have too ā€œkill the timeā€ i just need to find something i feel passionate about, find a hobby or try out new things. I dont have alot of friends so ā€¦ Im more a lonely type Guy. That all happened due to depression and drinking on my own. Neither a social life much. Ill build on that :relieved: one day at a time.

Thanks for ur advice again!

Were I in the Netherlands, I would take up Dutch-style Kickboxing. Your country has produced a high number of champions, including my all time favorite Bas Rutten. But thatā€™s me. Maybe you donā€™t have a passion for martial arts, but you wonā€™t know until you have tried.

Martial Arts have been a lifesaver for me during my first sober year. Just like I vow to never drink again, because my life is so much better without alcohol, I vow to study martial arts as long as my body will allow, because my life is so much better when it includes martial arts. What was once an interest, became a hobby, which became a passion, and is now just part of who I am.

I am Steve. Sober student of Martial Arts.

3 Likes

Hallo daar! Iā€™m Dutch too!
I replaced my drinking habit with:
Being on this app :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, reading a book, Netflix, surfing on the internet, study and sometimes meditate.
Iā€™m living in Breda and you?

2 Likes

Iā€™m trying to recover from internet addictionā€¦ So I canā€™t even go online. :confused:. Iā€™ve been having conversations with family and learning guitar.

1 Like

Iā€™d use the search function at top to find ideas. For me the first month was incredibly boring and I very tense and unsettled. I slowly found new things to do and a new routine and have learned how to enjoy it regardless of what is or isnā€™t going on. Not sure what your work schedule is or if you have kids, but parenting takes up a lot of my time in the evenings and I will spend my time in between on this app. Some go to meetings, which is a great idea if you struggle more then.

Ohā€¦ and Iā€™m from the US! Houston, TX. Yeeha.

1 Like

Currently my evenings are watching a little tv with the family and then some alone reading time. I plan to start adding in some stretching and before bed yoga in the near future.

And Iā€™m from Canada but I spent 3 years in The Netherlands as a kid. What a WONDERFUL country. I visited again in my 20s and it felt so kind and comfortable.

1 Like

Painting, cleaning, reading, exercise, work. Always lots to do.

1 Like

Live life man! This is what itā€™s all about.

Get hungry, stay hungry! Thereā€™s countless things you can do when your sober. Challenge yourself physically, mentally. Revive your inner child, splash in puddles. The world is waiting for you, go out and find it!

2 Likes

Thanks alotā€‹:disappointed::heart:ļø. Struggling. Ill go out tonight on Some bike trip again i think

This will come to you eventually, I promise. Takes a lot patience during a very difficult time. @Dejavu created a thread several weeks ago if you want to search for it ā€œSobrietyā€™s Cost of Admissionā€ā€¦

1 Like

During the week Iā€™m really busy with meetings, school, volunteeringā€“so I usually work out and sleep. On the weekends, I deep clean, I play video games, catch up on my favorite tv shows or YouTube channels, I also try to grab dinner with a friend or two. Ź•ā€¢ļ»Œā€¢Ź” Nothing too exciting.

I have been reading a TON, found shows that my wife and I can binge watch together, exercise and just started woodworking. I find wood pallets and fiddle with my tools. Hereā€™s my first creationā€¦

11 Likes

Oh wow! Thatā€™s so cool :two_hearts:

I just get back to doing what I always loved to do before I got messed up. And I do it at the beginning by force and day by day the passion returns.
I loved reading, i love it again.
I loved excercising. I love it again.
I loved watching series. I love it again and so on and on. For me the point was reigniteing the passions I had before everything got sucked into the black hole of addiction !

Rob Kaman become The Flying Dutchman :slight_smile: , @Yoda-Stevie

4 Likes