What a glass of wine a day does to your brain

Food for thought.
I found this article pretty scary given that I’ve been pouring copious amounts of wine down my neck for years as well as other alcoholic drinks. It pleased me though that it’s possible to regain brain functions within a year of abstaining.
Never give up hope is the motto for today :blush:

8 Likes

My mom developed early onset Alzheimer’s in her late 50s. She’s very close to the end now. It’s one of my fears for myself, so it’s definitely a reason I’m not drinking.

3 Likes

I didn’t read this yet but the part in the link that says « memory » really stuck me. Oh how I’ve been blaming everything on « mommy brain ». I knew for a very long time that I was drinking WAY too much and with no control. I’ve also watched how alcoholism killed my mom’s brain. Yet here I was still thinking that my inability to remember little things was simply « mommy brain ». :weary:

2 Likes

I already realized that my memory became worse. I hope my body can fix a part of that what’s lost :anguished:

2 Likes

It can! The brain has a marvelous capacity to form new synapses, re-route around damaged areas, and get strong and sharp. Stroke victims can learn to speak again, and those whove suffered TBI can recover.

The key is to feed your brain. Nutrition and regular stimulation. Puzzles. Math problems. Memorization. Reading fiction and non-fiction. Painting and art. Music. Each stimulates different areas, and new neurological paths will form.

7 Likes

Ah that’s sad. I feel for you. I lost both my parents in my early 30s. I think it’s hard no matter what age you are though. Sending you some love :heart:

1 Like

Yup I’ve noticed my memory is a lot worse. Definitely short term memory since I’ve been sober. 17 years of drinking.