What are any tips u can help a fellow alcoholic with staying sober

Ive tried to stop drinking plenty times before but after 2 weeks i always get back into the habit of ok just 1 day a week then it goes to every weekend binge drinking … i just would love some advice or personal choices u choose to cope with to keep going … im only 3 days sober today im trying another approach with trying this app lets see how it goes

7 Likes

I remind myself daily upon getting up that I don’t have to or need to drink today. And, I smile and think of lots of people I can help & fun things to do.

Oh, and I don’t listen to me when I get in my head about drinking. It tries to still send me bullshit info about maybe I can have just one…

3 Likes

What are you doing on a daily basis to seek outside support for your sobriety?

2 Likes

Plus don’t pick up a drink…
Help other people…

3 Likes

I havent started anything just trying to be strong … i was thinking about start doing virtual aa

Beautifully said … thank u

1 Like

Welcome to this community @Lizc . Congratulations on 3 days. That’s really good. I will share what’s worked for me as a very long term drug addict. Rehab 28 day stay got the ball rolling. Among other things,like group session and one on one,i was given a diagnosis of previously unknown mental illnesses. Psych meds for major depressive disorder and e.m.d.r. for c-ptsd. The meds started in rehab. When I left rehab,already on an upswing,I knew I needed a support group,a therapist and a psychiatrist to prescribe my meds. 12-step (AA) is an excellent program. But there are other options. I am a member of Refuge Recovery a Buddhist based path to recovery. That works for me. I think most of the people on this app do more than just read and share here. But that’s up to you. This is a great community of supportive and non-judgmental people. Just keep going forward ODAAT. I look forward to hearing more from you down the road. All the best.

2 Likes

Welcome Liz!
Acceptance and surrender is what I needed. Accepting the fact that I couldn’t do it on my own and it’s ok to ask for help. Surrendering and allowing others to help me. Then being honest with those that offered to help.

I found that help at an intensive outpatient program. That program gave me the foundation. I then went onto AA to do the hard work to build on that foundation. Four years later and my sobriety is very sturdy from all the hard work. But the work is never done. I continue to do something daily to maintain my sobriety.

It comes down to… I get back what I put into it. If I’m not doing anything but hoping I don’t pick up, I’ll wind up relapsing. If I’m putting the effort into my program, there’s a very slim chance of relapse. There’s no room for complacency.

5 Likes

@Smitty97 Great advice!

2 Likes

Welcome Liz. Congratulations on the 3 days.

Dan started a great thread.

Take what you like. Leave the rest.

Hope to see you around.

Being active on this app saved my life.
:pray::heart:

1 Like

It’s difficult when those around you drink and you mostly hang out with them places. If you want to abstain or even just retreat from drinking or using a while to get perspective, it takes some planning. It might feel boring or stupid at first but try checking out doing things on your own or a friend who knows your wanting to just stop. Working out, walks at a cool park, movies at the theater, museums, art fairs, biking, swimming, yoga, anything you used to like before things felt like everything you did involved drinking or drugs. We didn’t always drink, try and take it one moment at a time. Eventually, it’ll get easier and you won’t miss the gd hangovers. You’ll have more of the day to do cool stuff too! I also must say that doing things on my own has been liberating. Good luck on your journey and keep striving for your sobriety goal!

1 Like

Thank u all for the suggestions… i definitely have some great advice to work from

1 Like