What are the steps?

I’m going to therapy
I’m reaching out
Going to meetings
What else can I do to help with my recovery?
I relapsed and I really don’t want it to happen again!.

1 Like

7 Likes

If you’re going to 12-step meetings (like Alcoholics Anonymous), the steps are usually done with a sponsor. Do you have one?

1 Like

@Dazercat. Love that version !!!

1 Like

I just started going to meetings. Don’t have a sponsor

There is other versions?0.o

1 Like

They all mean the same thing. But it helps to have other ways of looking at it.
Here’s Russell Brand’s version. @Lousul
He’s got a good recovery book out.

Here is how I look at these steps now, and it’s how I invite you to look at them too. It certainly demystifies it. I’ve probably overcompensated with the ‘f’ word, but my point is that this is a practical system that anyone can use.

1 Are you a bit fucked?
2 Could you not be fucked?
3 Are you, on your own, going to ‘unfuck’ yourself?
4 Write down all the things that are fucking you up or have ever fucked you up and don’t lie, or leave anything out.
5 Honestly tell someone trustworthy about how fucked you are.
6 Well that’s revealed a lot of fucked up patterns. Do you want to stop it? Seriously?
7 Are you willing to live in a new way that’s not all about you and your previous, fucked up stuff? You have to.
8 Prepare to apologize to everyone for everything affected by your being so fucked up.
9 Now apologize. Unless that would make things worse.
10 Watch out for fucked up thinking and behaviour and be honest when it happens.
11 Stay connected to your new perspective.
12 Look at life less selfishly, be nice to everyone, help people if you can.

3 Likes

Stick to he AA version go to a meeting get a sponsor they will guide you. all these others are copies, wish you well

3 Likes

I like this! I struggled with the “higher power” for YEARS. This is more relatable! :laughing:

2 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue: Love that one too !!!

2 Likes

So important in recovery.

@Lousul
@emi

5 Likes

I get ya. I was just raised literally in a church (Catholic and then Russian Orthodox) and ended up with a lot of trauma so that stuff always rubs me the wrong way. It’s the part I struggle with the most.

1 Like

I get ya. Recovering Catholic here :raising_hand_man:
I consider myself a Lutheran now. But I’m not too crazy or agree with a lot of the stuff going on in religion church Christianity whatever :man_facepalming: These days. But that doesn’t matter.

All I know is when my child was addicted to heroin and my life was totally :100: unmanageable, and then we found out my other kid was dual diagnosis. Other than Al-Anon, There was no other place for me to go, but down on my knees, and beg my God to take this addiction and my children’s problem from me. He did. And he gave me strength. And I’m still using him today for my recovery.

It’s ok to have doubts and issues with God. I just tell him about.
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

What a sweet sentiment! :black_heart: I’m happy for you and yours doing better :black_heart:
I do have an altar and icon of my personal patron Saint (Dymphna!) so I try to meditate on self healing with whatever/whoever guides my spirit that day. I do have candles from my Orthodox Church that I light when I’m really struggling. I guess I do have a bit of a higher power, but it would be my church family! It was started in our living room as there was no local Orthodox church. I may have lost my faith but I really love and miss my people there! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes