What are you doing for Self Care today?

Something I’m struggling with, and always have, is self care. I find that I don’t have many healthy coping skills, so when I want to “treat myself” I wind up binging on junk food, spending way too much time scrolling on my phone, spending money unnecessarily, or drinking alcohol. Now that I’m sober I want to start making healthy choices in other areas of my life.

I’m feeling guilty right now because after I got home from shopping, I was really hungry and instead of making myself lunch I just ate a ton of chips. :frowning:
I’ve been feeling pretty anxious today, so right now I am trying to take a few minutes for healthy self care and sit down with some tea and a book.

What are some healthy things you do for self care? What are you doing to be kind to yourself today?

(especially things that don’t cost money!)

4 Likes

Self care for me is painting my toes, plucking my eyebrows and coloring my hair. Other times it’s endless cups of tea and a James Patterson book. I love history, and enjoy documentaries on YouTube of all sorts. Self care for when I’m struggling with sobriety would be quit lite, alcohol stories or podcasts on sobriety. I walk everyday to help release tensions of all kinds, and it really helps with keeping my mood and energy levels high. I have learned the hardway that Self care is important :+1:

4 Likes

Hey @Ktd, I find that whenever I stop drinking I turn into a book worm. I love reading and I love audiobooks too.
Otherwise walking/running and time spent with my cat just chilling are really great for me.
I’m like you in that ‘a treat’ in the past has meant getting drunk or eating bad food, so this is all part of the journey for me too.
A good podcast makes better entertainment for me lately, rather than TV as I often find people on TV or films are drinking.
Good luck on your journey x

2 Likes

I’ve never been much of a tea drinker, but since getting sober I have been trying new kinds and drinking multiple cups a day. What tea is your favorite? Also, any recommendations on which James Patterson book to start with? I’ve always wanted to read some of his books but there are sooo many to choose from!

1 Like

I started reading again a few years ago and I love it so much! I really struggle with audiobooks and podcasts because I zone out and miss parts. Lol I have been trying to replace my junky snacks with fruit and cups of tea, but it’s definitely hard. I’m hoping not drinking hundreds of calories every night will help me lose some weight. We’ll see how that goes! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

If your new to James Patterson, I’d suggest starting with some of his series. My favorite’s are the women’s murder club, the Michael Bennett series, and Alex Cross series. Just Google which order they go in, they are so good!!! I’ve always liked tea but since getting sober I drink way more of it. I’m a little boring with flavors, but orange pekoe during the day and chamomile at night :blush:

1 Like

Yeah, spending money has been a real big problem for me, especially ordering from Amazon. One of my goals for this year is to do a lot less online shopping and a lot more thrifting.

I do love to craft and I have so many half done projects. :joy: it’s challenging for me because I find that as soon as I sit down and get into a groove working on something, but 4yo needs something every 5 minutes. Lol and I start new hobbies and when it’s too hard I just give up :woman_facepalming:t2:

I’m not much of a dancer, but I want to start trying yoga and some other exercises. I have the time, I just really struggle to find the motivation. However, the past couple days I have been feeling like I have more energy than ever before so that is exciting! I have felt like such a slug every day for years and I’m realizing that’s probably due to my drinking.

1 Like

For me,

It’s ensuring I do important daily activities that include

Exercise
Bathing
Shaving
Brushing and flossing my teeth
Wearing clean nice clothes
Having nice groomed hair

2 Likes

I just finished putting sway all the holiday decorations. Yeah! Now, I’m enjoying some hot cider. Not the fermented stuff. Lol :wink: :unicorn:

1 Like