What are your biggest triggers?

Boredom :upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Back when I still had triggers they were basically EVERYTHING I did. I was an all day every day drinker so there was nothing I did without a drink in my hand. Here were some big triggersā€¦
Driving
Watching tv
Working
Any form of socializing
Grocery shopping
Having sex
Playing with my kid
Going to the movies
Smoking cigs on my back porch
Walking my dog
We could increase the list at infinitumšŸ˜‰

3 Likes

Wow, Iā€™m trying to imagine that,n how challenging it must have been in the beginning, trying to maintain sobriety with triggers literally everywhere. Thank God those days are over!

1 Like

Thank God indeed. For today at least, they are gone. It was really like they say, I had to rewire my brain and change habits. Driving was a Huge one for me. So I had to always have something in a cup with ice in the cup holder. Same with socializing and smoking cigs on porch. Have a cup in hand at all times.

2 Likes

When i start cooking dinner every nightā€¦ it feels like the day is over and is time to relax

My mom. :smile_cat::smile_cat::smile_cat::smile_cat:

2 Likes

Itā€™s now weird how I will be pulling up to the house and itā€™s hot AF and have a random thought of shit an ice coldddddd. Then I just laugh. Wtf am I thinking. It was just my life for so long. I was the jackass that hated puking that first drink of the morning up so I would get up and medicate through the night. So Iā€™m with you opening a cabinet door brings back memories lol. Life was a trigger so I just focused on recovery and by the grace of god I didnā€™t get to many triggers.

1 Like

Guy at my job sometimes when he lights up his smoke. He smokes my old brand Newport and the smell just brings the taste back of. The hit of speed the swig off my Becks and the long drag. It does bring back that good feeling. Then I Stop! and realize how much hated it and still have some work to do

1 Like

Especially going out socializing and sexual drive. Iā€™ve become an alcoholic trying to get laid.

2 Likes

Being alone, painful memories, my exā€¦ :frowning:

2 Likes

Being alone at home, anxiety, eating dinner. I donā€™t feel the need to drink during the day as Iā€™m usually disgusted with myself for drinking the night before and so motivated at work. But every single evening the cravings come on so strong

1 Like

Torch Lighters

Definitely the pressure of college and trying to make it out

For me, today, family could be a trigger but Iā€™m not giving them that pleasure !

I can understand that feeling! in my case playing the newest Fifa version each year :frowning:

You hit that one right on the targetā€¦ Itā€™s getting high was the only fun u know. ā€¦

Having company over. It helps me not feel awkward and have fun so I go for it then feel like crap the next day. Also having a tough time at work. Which only makes for a bad next day.

1 Like

You have the exact same triggers as me word for word!

1 Like

Nice Weather and no responsiblities. Concerts.
I canā€™t control the weather, so I just have to be aware on that one.
I just stay busy and avoid concerts (not as bad as I thought, bc Iā€™ve come to not like crowds much these days and sure donā€™t care for crowds of drunks. How is that for the pinnacle, the zenith, the -now where is my thesaurus- of hypocrisy?)
Best,
Chandler

Life in general. It could be the greatest day ever, or feel like the worst. I want to drink because the sun is out, or drink because the weather is inclement. The grass is green or the grass is gone. I could be the happiest guy on the planet, and I just want to drink myself into oblivion. I could be stressed, or experiencing feelings of mania.There was never any rhyme or reason. I spent most of the time though listening to music or watching movies so it was hard for me to find joy in those past times again getting sober, but I did get there.

2 Likes