"What Being Sober Has Meant to Me" - Brene Brown

I’m probably one of the last people to have watched Brene Brown’s 2019 Netflix special - but I did so this week. Very powerful, and very relevant to sobriety - and because she’s Brene, very easy to watch.

For all of us here, wanting to make change (or changes) in our lives, requires courage and vulnerability – and the special provides a lot of encouragement. I’ve included the trailer below, but also an article she wrote after the special on her own sobriety. Hope you like it as much as I do…

14 Likes

Thanks
I love her TED talks. :+1:

1 Like

Not the last! I don’t really watch that much stuff. I prefer reading. Glad you found her work resonates so deeply for you. I am definitely a fan from way back.

1 Like

Thanks Sassy! It’s interesting - I usually prefer to read, underline, etc too. (I’m a really un-accomplished watcher-of-anything on screens. Had to pause the Bill Moyers/Joseph Campbell series several times - and I really want to get my hands on the transcript that @Mtrav0040 mentioned!)

But this was an easy watch - with kleenex and lots o’ ha ha’s and many, many good take-aways… :orange_heart:

And yes - @Piglet - the TED talks are shorter and also easy to watch!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the link to this article. It was a great read! I love Brene Brown. Her work is amazing and her knowledge and wisdom so helpful and appreciated. I’m grateful to have found her work. She has a podcast too called Unlocking Us and another called Dare to Lead.

1 Like

Hey! Not sure if it’s relevant…but the Power of Myth is available on audible too! Joe and Bill often accompany me on my rides home from work🥰

2 Likes

Thank you - very relevant! I forget what thread it was, but I mentioned watching the videos with Bill Moyers and Joseph Campbell, and @Mtrav0040 told me about the book. (Thanks for posting, Mitch. Already ordered!). I’m eager to get my hands on the book - do my underlining thing, etc, but it’s good to know there’s audio too for longer commutes.

Oh, and ELY83, I like your selection of carpool-mates :smile: :orange_heart:

3 Likes

Thanks emc! She’s unfathomably knowledgeable, yes - but also makes her stuff (and herself) so relatable. I find it really enjoyable and not all “you’d be a better person if you…”

I’ve heard of these - but will definitely have to check them out now. Have you given them a listen? :orange_heart:

1 Like

Yeah I have, and they’re amazing. I can highly recommend :blush:

1 Like

To me another person using AA to get sober , then using her sobriety to make money . like our Russell and Annie , suppose its the way now no hard core sobriety now just pod casts and u tube and becoming best sellers keep on trucking

5 Likes

Yknow, normally I’d agree, Ray. But gotta admit Brene’s talks about stuff like mindfulness and anxiety are pretty golden. And a lot of her stuff is freely out there, even if she does sell some books.

3 Likes

Thanks Ray! I think a big part of her appeal, and her contribution is that she’s quite kindly forced a lot of people to examine their own relationship with alcohol and conclude that even though a lot of society wouldn’t label them “alcoholics” - they, in fact, are. I think this is true among the professional, academic, working crowd who first read her stuff for the reasons @Eke cited (anxiety, etc), and who belong to wine and scotch clubs. It’s hard after reading her stuff not to accept that for many, these are just a way of dressing up their alcoholism!

And money-making concerns aside, at least she does promote the steps…

But hey, as a complete aside, and if haven’t said so in a while? It’s always good to see you here. :relaxed: :orange_heart:

3 Likes