What can you do when you feel helpless and sad over current events; standing with Uvalde

Deleted content

3 Likes

If you’ve been on this forum for any amount of time you’ll know exactly where I stand on this issue. That being said the best thing I’ve learned in sobriety is how not to put the weight of the world on my shoulders. It does no good for me and it does no good for the world. Yes, this is an absolute tragedy. Yes, change is badly needed. No, I cannot do anything about it.

Chris’s response is not inappropriate. Everyone handles tragedy in unique and different ways. We do not get to decide how others grieve, or don’t grieve. He’s also right that this has been going on since the dawn of time and will most likely go on the entirety of our lifetime. There’s a tragedy a day, often more.

I have two children entering school soon so this is something that will be on my mind, but I refuse to allow it to consume me. And while it is a tragedy, this is not my tragedy. I cannot allow myself to bear this burden. @SassyRocks said it best is that we can do is focus on doing the next right thing. For me I pray, not only for the victims, but for my own feeling of inner peace. My prayers probably don’t reach them but it helps me feel better.

13 Likes

Thanks, all, for your comments.
3VcJ

9 Likes

7 Likes

I wish I could give blood, but they won’t take it anymore. :weary:

But yeah, I can see that would be a good way to help, even if the tragedy is not near you.

4 Likes

Deleted content

3 Likes

The wisdom to know the difference.

4 Likes

Who are these people you’re referring to? I don’t see that here on this thread. I see multiple people saying they’re doing what they can in their little neighborhoods across America. The posts about nothing will change are in reference to those in government power. Continuing to do what’s in our power seems to be the theme here.

7 Likes

I think the reason you don’t have stricter gun laws is the same why Germany is one of the only countries without a speed limit.

1 Like

Deleted content

Deleted bc reactionary as well

Everyone here is grieving. There is no wrong way to grieve. And like most strong emotions, it is messy and disorderly and it is tough to measure (including measure who is doing what and how they are doing it).

It is probably a good idea to take some cool down time here. This isn’t helping.

8 Likes

No, why would you say that? Because I have a different opinion?

Not at all!!! I’m not trying to troll just get a different opinion across, sort of like what practical steps can you take? I’m not eloquent and/or maybe online it comes off with the wrong tone.

Ever heard of the phrases “taking another person’s inventory” and “keep your own side of the street clean”? This is not to your battle, friend. Always fine to reflect critically, but I’d stay clear of telling others what to do. It elevates oneself and diminishes said others.

6 Likes

There’s lots that individuals can do. They can contact their local, state and national officials and try to get change.

We cannot talk about this on Talking Sober because politics are not allowed.

Moderators have been gracious with this thread and hopefully this thread won’t end up getting pulled.

7 Likes

I’ll delete what I wrote bc I don’t want to upset people. I wasn’t trying to wind anyone up, just make an observation and suggestion. Hard to get across online what I mean, didn’t mean to be inflammatory

9 Likes

One more reminder that this forum is not the place for political discussions. Nor was it the OP’s intention to have one here. Please refrain from making it one. Otherwise the moderators have no other option than to close this thread. Please keep to the rules of the forum.

7 Likes

For myself, I also work within my local, state and national political party, I also donate my time and money as I see fit and I participate in marches/protests. I don’t discuss that here because our forum rules ask us to refrain from discussing politics. I assume other people on here in the US may be actively involved in similar ways to effect change with what is available to us. I grew up in the 60s and 70s and I understand full well what taking to the streets can achieve…as well as how difficult social change is…it is an ultra marathon, not a sprint. But such talk is not allowed here, so I discuss what is.

That said…the long view can feel hopeless and so, I remind myself and our beloved community often that we CAN make a difference right where we are today. We can smile at our neighbor, check in on an elderly relative, pick up trash on our walk, work in our food pantry, etc. All of these and more not only benefit our community, they benefit us and our world. We make a difference by being on here as well. There are a myriad of tangible things that can help us through our grief as we continue to work towards a country where our children are not being killed at school. This is where I could add in a comment against the rules.

Hopelessness/ helplessness are natural responses to so much information and grief. When we take actions, even if they do not seem to be directly related to gun violence, we can and do spread good will. This helps us stay the course and make a difference, no matter how small or inconsequential it may seem.

The karmic good will of many people making small positive actions…it is priceless in my eyes. We do our best with a horrific situation. We allow our feelings and those of others, we allow our heart to break wide open…this expands our opportunity to love more, to help more. Just as in sobriety…we never give up…even in our grief…we continue to fight the good fight. Good trouble, necessary trouble.

12 Likes

As some continue to veer toward politics/policy, this thread is now closed.

Thank you to all who showed their support.