What do sober people do for fun?

In summer, I like to go hiking, camping, traveling, exploring, trying different restaurants in town, farmers markets, swimming at lakes/rivers, kayaking/rafting, going for walks, going to parks, BBQs, hang with family/friends, concerts, check out local music scene.

In winter its snowboarding.

All months I play music with friends.

Pretty much whatever comes to mind I do.

When I wasn’t sober, it was the same bar everynight. I thought that was fun, now I relize it was really a sad, unfruitful existence.

14 Likes

I became a farmer :tractor:

7 Likes

Plan dates. Do things you normally wouldnt do and see what you like. Thats what i did. Go for a walk. Or go to the movies. Walk around the mall and stores even if it is just window shopping. Roadtrip. Or what im doing right now, which is binge a whole show or movie series lol.

8 Likes

The reality of the situation is you can literally do whatever. Alcohol isn’t keeping you chained up anymore. That’s one of the sad things about alcohol. It takes away your freedom.

11 Likes

Once I put in the work and built a solid foundation of sobriety I did all the same things I used to do, just without drugs and alcohol. I also have a shitload more money to blow on fun things.

Trivia nights
Concerts
Festivals
Picnics
Hiking
Biking
Running
Water parks
Regular parks
Pools
Lakes
Oceans
Weddings
Alllllll the kid stuff.

However my first year was a lot of AA events and meetings.

7 Likes

You have to be at least four weeks sober before you get to have fun again. Sorry. :wink:

There are already lots of ideas in the comments, so I’m going to take a different approach. Get a piece of paper and a pen/pencil, sit by yourself and think about things you enjoy doing. Write them down as they come to you. Maybe write down things you would like to try. You can also do with with your wife.

The point of this is that “exciting” and “fun” are a little subjective. If you are an active person, your list will be different from someone who enjoys more sedentary activities. If you are social, that list will look a little different than someone who prefers their own company or that of a few choice people.

7 Likes

The first thing you do is remind yourself that drugs and alcohol were not fun. If they were you wouldn’t be here. Once you truly understand that you can venture back into your your favourite activities knowing you can do that without your DOC.

In the meantime you can find lots of new sober activities. Grab an ice cream cone and go for a walk, go see the latest movies, get a coffee and peruse the bookstore - pick a new book to read, take a class and laugh at your novice skills.

There’s so much you haven’t done because you were not sober.

Then someday you can try a sober concert or nightclub or whatever it was you used to do for fun. That day will come. I’m currently doing a music festival completely sober.

4 Likes

@DryD sometimes you need to try new things . I found my enjoyment for doing math and reading when I became my better sober self . Not saying I sit down 24’7 and just read & do math, but now as I have my list of things I need to do for the day, sometimes I’ll add in some stuff that require reading, or studying .

I was a cook for quite some years in my 20’s, so sometimes I will cook a nice meal, or go check out a local restaurant (with no alcohol) and try their food because food has always been an enjoyment to me.

There’s a bunch of things you can do with outdoor activities, go for a walk, camping, bike riding, rollerblading, skateboarding… The list goes on .

Find social groups or clubs in your area.

Nothing wrong with finding a show to binge watch… I’m more of a gamer, so when I have time to game I will go all out sometimes . Call me lazy , but sometimes it’s nice to go into your own virtual world for a few hours and forget about everything.

Working out is a very good hobby, whether you do it at home with your own equipment, body, or even at the gym. It rewards you with natural highs, builds your confidence, health, and overall physical look.

Maybe even try something even like art, sewing, building something , woodwork.

There’s really so many things you can do on your free time. Sometimes when we’re so used to being under the influence, everything can feel “boring” , “numb” , black & grey when you’re first coming down off all that substance abuse…but that’s your body just readjusting back to the real world.

Finding your sober hobbies sometimes requires you to go out and try new things, and the more stuff you try and do, the more you’re gonna find out about your true sober self.

2 Likes

This, 100%

I’ll add that I really didn’t start doing the fun stuff until about a year of sobriety. Once that foundation had been built, I was able to begin to live again.

6 Likes

I switched from going wine tasting to olive oil tasting.

3 Likes

I am at a 2 day rock concert…

4 Likes

Hang with my cat in the bedroom binging This Old House and Unsolved Mysteries :joy:

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: this is the best thing I’ve read all day

2 Likes

Heck yeah, you can still be a gourmet and be alcohol free! :+1:

2 Likes

You got lots of good suggestions. My favorite thing is waking up hangover and regret free. That is my kind of fun these days.

Some other stuff I enjoy sober…

Reading, bicycling, mtn biking, checking out local hiking trails, chasing waterfalls, running, visiting pop up shops, hanging at the beach, going to the sweet old style movie theater in town, drive in movie (if you are lucky enough to have one nearby), camping, baking, gardening, did I mention reading?, game nights (yahtzee, cribbage), browsing antique stores, trivia night, meet ups with friends for walks, checking out a new town, just chilling, bowling, pool volleyball with the grandson, puzzles, knitting, saving for a vacation trip.

Also…more here…

3 Likes

Go to a creek
Go to an outside movie
Watch an ant hill
Follow a wasp
Look for a four leave cover

2 Likes

Botanical gardens.
Museums (art, natural history, science, etc.)
Concerts.
Bookstores.
Coffee houses.

1 Like

Mine is really boring, but I do the same things I did while drinking. Find entertaining or educational things online, watch movies, play a game, cook, take pictures of eBay stuff and look for more deals to sell, basic chores around the house (ok didn’t do much of that one while drinking).

I’d like to travel again but have never done so while sober since I was 13. Good suggestions above although many of them depend on your location and what’s around you locally. Some areas like mine are limited without driving for hours or getting on a plane.

2 Likes

I am currently rewarching a lot of movies, because I used to have a bottle of wine while watching and now I realise I can’t remember the frickn plot.
:squid:

1 Like

What do you enjoy doing or that brings you fulfillment other than drinking? Excessive use of alcohol is not fulfilling…