What do you do for fun w/o ur DOC

So I was asked this the other day in my IOP… What do i do for fun now? The concept was that empty lonely isolated feeling we get from stepping away from our addiction will drag us back in if we dont fill that void.

I enjoy my job. So ive been working extra.
Spend as much time as i can with my kids.
I run and/or workout.

But I’m curious and also looking for ideas…
What do you do for fun without your DOC?

3 Likes

Mainly work out, draw, bowling, babysit my neice, would love to go swimming but cant till it gets warm again and i can open the pool

4 Likes

This is tough lol have actually never thought about it. I find boredom a trigger for me so I guess I should think about this topic abit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was always a hobbyist, and drinking took over my life to where either I was screwing up majorly when I tried to do my hobbies, or I just stopped doing them altogether. So I’ve rediscovered the things that used to bring me joy and they do again. Cooking, handicrafts like knitting and beading, growing things like houseplants and gardening when in season, and reading for pleasure again. I recently dusted off the Wii and started doing a Zumba game that is fun and a great workout! I also realized that I had stopped listening to music regularly, because with the pandemic I wasn’t really going anywhere, and I used to only really listen to music in the car. So in the last week or so I have been intentional about cranking the tunes and it is fun to go through old albums. Some music can be a trigger for certain memories, but it can also be a useful tool in recovery. :heartpulse:

3 Likes

Whatever my mind and heart desires. I can conqour anything now

5 Likes

Oh man I’ve missed swimming! I can’t wait for everything to open up again…that’s the first place I’m headed! @DeadMist I rediscovered my hobbies. I read lots, I cook loads, I cross stitch and I have a stained glass studio that I put together at the bottom of my garden. I also love to garden , when the weather is better. Anything to fill the time really! I come on here a couple of times a day (uk in lockdown) so have more time on my hands than I usually would. And I play games on my phone. I love my own company so I tend to bugger off upstairs at night and sit in my bedroom and read. :+1::two_hearts:

3 Likes

This is a good question, my friend who is a psychotherapist asked me a similar thing recently, she said - how do you fulfill your inner child, where do you get that sense of fun, enjoyment and mischief??

I’ve picked up a bunch of new hobbies including banjo (Yee haw!) Home baking, more reading and I do a little fitness from YouTube workouts. But for pure mischievous fun it’s the cold water swimming… It gives a real physical and mental buzz which is coupled with knowing it’s a bit subversive I guess. (Here in England, especially during winter)!!!

I also just spontaneously will do things that make me laugh, for example today I was out on a walk in the snow, and went into this golf course which is closed due to Covid, the snow was pristine and untrodden so I did a bunch of snow angels around the golf course, just for the craic.

7 Likes

I paint with my kids. I forgot how therapeutic it was. We do rocks, wooden magnets, figurines and decorative boxes.

I also read a lot more. I like to read my Big Book with my coffee before the kids wake up.

3 Likes

Reading, listening to music, gaming, and learning to play bass.

1 Like

I don’t know that I do anything for fun… but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy my life. I am just far more chill. I do things for enjoyment, but not necessarily for fun. If that makes sense.

I’m a huge homebody so I read, I’m trying to learn crochet, I got drums for my birthday that I don’t know how to play but I do like to hang on sometimes, I take my dog on long walks in the forest by my house…

I like to keep myself busy doing things I don’t have to do and I procrastinate on doing all the things I DO have to do. LOL

2 Likes

Yeah. I get that. Ive been trying to find new things to learn. But cash flow is a bit of an issue.

1 Like

Thats awesome. I had a friend way back when and she and I would run through sprinklers anytime we saw them. It got to the point that people would call us and say so and so has the sprinklers on and we would jump in the car an go right them :joy:

1 Like

I used to be a gamer but my ex took the xbox1 so I have to waitair until i can afford something new

Honestly things I did with drugs and alcohol are even more fulfilling without,

I’ve been hitting the gym, a lot 6 pack abs yo,

BMX I love BMX and have since I was a kid, it developed into big boy hobbies motorcycles and cars.

Playing guitar, I suffer from stage fright, I was forced to do sober performances at rehab, it really changed my perception on music, I been collaborating with musicians around here, I’m a perfectionist, so I tend to delay releases because I’ll tell you how I can do better, and it led to a 10 year delay of the release of my solo album, still isn’t released but there’s more to that story

Self investment, I been taking classes for college credit

2 Likes

I’d teach you but it’s a pain via zoom.

There is a great YouTube channel called drumeo, they will get you going, also I reccomend a book called stick control, in no time you’ll be spinning sticks and blast beating wirh ease

2 Likes

Well today I got too go play around in the snow in my truck. First day out from intensive inpatient. Was only going to grocery shop but it was fun

I mean… Im down to learn but Idk where i would put drums right now lol

1 Like

@dalex77

I am one of those crazy people

Your welcome

2 Likes

I agree you are def crazy lol.
@dalex77 I agree I’m kinda in the moment. Random 3 am 1 hour drive to Denny’s anyone? Lol thats my style

2 Likes

You can buy an electronic set, 4 pc will run you about 200 bucks for entry level, doesn’t take up much space