What do you do to relax

Getting pretty bored trying to keep my mind occupied. Running out of things to do. My mind thinks about alcohol when its not busy. Im doin ggreat in my sobriety. Gettin scarred the bordem will lead to alcohol

2 Likes

Hobbies are great for keeping busy! Here’s a thread with lots of ideas you can check out:
Share Your Hobbies

3 Likes

Thank you very much

Just thought of another thing…if you search for the “just for fun” categories you can pull up a bunch of threads, some of which are activities people share that they do in their spare time.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s the same kind of relax but I started using grounding last night I found in one of the threads and it really helped a lot. I’d like to remember to do it throughout the day.

2 Likes

appreciate that

Good question!

I scroll through this app a lot.

I read a lot of books.

I cook and do a much better job of keeping my house nice than I did when I was drinking.

I watch a lot of movies that I can actually enjoy with my sober mind.

I exercise regularly!

I write in a journal.

I research vacation opportunities.

Have a good weekend!

4 Likes

I understand 100%. I feel the same way. This boredom is driving me crazy lol. I don’t want to drink, I just need something to do when I’m not at work.

Cooking
Writing
Swimming
Biking
Driving
Yoga
Meditation
Conversations
Laughing
Napping :sleeping:
Smiling and maybe flirting :yum:
Beauty and Selfcare stuff :sunglasses:
Just watching things passing by
(clouds, sun… downer, people, …)
Making plans and lists

2 Likes

We do have so much more time, don’t we, when we aren’t chasing a high, being hungover or just in the general malaise of ingesting poisons.

It’s a great time to find and explore new interests. They can be as simple as walking in the park or your neighborhood. Learning to bicycle, hitting the fitness club, take up running (my fave). I just started a 2 week free trial of a dance app…Body Groove, fun so far. Yin and restorative yoga especially help me relax. So do listening to guided meditations.

Other than moving my body, I also find baking relaxing and tidying my space has always helped calm my nervous system. That is pretty much me needing a calm environment to soothe my inner chaos/anxiety. Puzzles can be very relaxing. Baths. Walking…worth another mention if you are able bodied. Reading is big for me, as is gardening. Simple stuff.

Finding new activities you enjoy is so helpful to recovery.

1 Like

Hi!
Since I stopped drinking, I picked up Diamond Painting as a hobby. It has really helped me. I also bought a Botanical Lego (orchid). My son loved Legos as a kid, so we will see how it goes with me. :rofl:

I finished the DP of succulents, working on the rose.

I too often drank if bored, so anything you can find to keep you busy helps. Wish you the best :hugs:

2 Likes

Were do for a vacation and my bday is coming up. Think ill plan a vacation!!!

3 Likes

I go walk my dog, I read, I draw and watch a lot of Netflix lol😁

2 Likes

Play with my dog

Go for a walk

Watch some comfort television

Stare at my plant collection

Nap (recently embracing naps, can’t believe I used to be so nap averse)

Go for an aimless drive with the windows down and music up.

Pretty much all of the above involve my dog. Best friend I’ve ever had.

Cleaning/organizing is also pretty relaxing for me.

4 Likes

I hit things and people, and people hit me back. I train and teach Krav Maga

2 Likes

“Hit me in the face!”

punch

“Man I could just fall asleep I’m so relaxed”

2 Likes