What does alcohol withdraw pain feel like?

Can anyone tell me what their alcohol withdraw pain felt like? This is my 3rd or 4th real attempt at getting sober and dont think i have really felt it before. Today is day 3 of this attempt and i am feeling pretty miserable. Thanks.

5 Likes

I’m not recovering from alcohol myself, so I can’t offer personal experience, but if you search “alcohol withdrawal” in the Talking Sober search bar, you will find many threads.

The NHS (United Kingdom National Health Service) has a short summary of withdrawal symptoms from alcohol here (link below). Important: it is always, always a good idea to talk with a doctor. Visit your local emergency room if you have to.

2 Likes

My withdrawal symptoms were quite severe. I experienced the following and in this order:

• The next morning after my last drink HIGH anxiety and RAPID heart beat
  • Pressure behind my eyes like I was sunken in (this occurred for 2 days straight)
  • Sleeplessness completely I couldn’t fall asleep as I was using it to sleep (bad…)
  • Cold sweats constantly throughout the first 3 or 4 days randomly
  • My arms had tremors in them (this is when I went to hospital)
  • BP when taken at home prior to hospital visit was 200 over 164… Heart rate tracked at 125 BPM

I ended up being hospitalized with my symptoms and had to detox, however, that is what I went through. It was awful… and it stopped but they come back periodically in smaller forms (this is my 10th day sober)