What drives you?

What makes you get up each day and choose sobriety? I find that it’s my family. This includes my friends. I wake up every day, and have messages of encouragement. I’m so grateful that i have such a strong circle around me. What drives your sobriety wagon?

5 Likes

A commitment to myself, my loved ones, and the people of this forum. I cannot progress towards my best self or continue to grow as a person, with alcohol in my life.

We have but a short time on earth, and I plan on making the most of it. Alcohol is not in that picture.

8 Likes

When my DOC became the feeling I have about myself when I’m by myself. Sober, clear minded and compassionate

3 Likes

I choose sobriety every day for me. In turn, my sons, my partner, my family, and my friends all benefit.

Sobriety gives me serenity, freedom, and joy. It feeds my spirit. It fills the spaces in my life that addiction seemed to but ultimately didn’t. It gives me the courage to find solutions. It gives me the ability to nurture healthy relationships and end dysfunctional ones.

I deserve all of that. Those things in turn enrich my relationships with my sons, partner, family, and friends, and they deserve that.

7 Likes

Love this :raised_hands:t4:

2 Likes

At the moment Im fairly early on so focusing on tanginble things - I have two major projects that I just cant be hungover for that Im finding it helpful to really focus on when I feel my addiction start to whisper in my ear.

1 Like

What drives me is knowing i wont be around if i take a drink. I cant forget my rock bottom and how dark, depressed, miserable and alone i had become. Alcohol almost killed me and sobriety has given me a new life. A life i didnt know could exist for me. If i dont stay sober i will have no me, no family and thus no life. There is no problem in my life that a drink is going to fix or make better. Im so Grateful for this app and these threads and you beautiful people that write them… Thank you!

3 Likes

Not wanting to live on the street. The hope of a better life. True liberty, independence, and the deep understanding that life can be awesome with a little money and lots of experience.

1 Like

This!!! It’s absolutely the same for me! The only other thing I would add is also for my boy. He and I speak very openly about where we are at in life and so we get to have these SUPER important conversations about sobriety, drugs/alcohol and reasons you can use or stay sober. Wish I had someone to have these conversations with me when I was his age, instead everyone I knew drank so I truly thought it was normal-until I went too far with it. Then I found this place and it saved my life by allowing me to see it for what it truly was. And I’m blessed to be able to pass that knowledge to my 17 year old curious child instead of teaching him by my actions its ok to drink your life away. Be the change you wish to see in the world! :heart:

3 Likes

Specifically, my husband. Also, my health and family and my future…I want to have a future. Not let it waste away any longer. I look forward to the laughs and good times I can share (and remember) while being sober. Im only at day 3 today but I wake up feeling motivated to make it to a week, a month, 90 days and so on. I’ve put myself and my husband in too many embarrassing situations and neither one of us deserve that.

2 Likes

My desire for Kaizen, continuous positive improvement. To keep getting better at getting better, each and every day. Every day, no days off.

Better husband, father, friend, employee, mentor. Whatever role I fill in the lives of others. Whatever allows me to make the most, of whatever time I have left to build a lasting legacy.

And it all begins with sobriety. Drinking for me was like barnacles on the hull of a boat. The more it grew, the slower I got. The more it fouled my life. It eventually would have sunk me. Of this I have no doubt.

So one day I decided to be better. I yanked the boat out of the water, scoured off the barnacles, put the boat back in the water, and set sail. It’s been fair winds and following seas ever since.

Kaizen

3 Likes

The joy I have found in a new sober life. My health. The money i have and will continue to save. My girlfriend and my family. My sanity. Not waking up feeling like shit every morning. The complete and utter desire to stay out of that shit hole they call jail.
So many things keep me going every single day

1 Like

My life. It’s very simple. My mother died from alcohol (well, and diabetes…but diabetes and alcohol do not mix well) at age 69. I’m so mad at her for that. I won’t put my family through that. I will do everything I can to live as long as I can for my family. I love them too much.

3 Likes

Im still early into my healing so right now the immediate motivation is to not lose my boyfriend of almost 4 years/lived together for 3. We broke up one time a couple years ago before my drinking problem and it was devastating. I try to remember how deeply bad and hurt i was and how dark that time was for me and say to myself that if i dont get my act together that is an imminent reality for me again. I have annoyed him while drunk countless time and made him frustrated and i am sure he felt like my babysitter. I can only imagine that i could not get away with getting drunk too many more times before we have a fight. when i drink too much i feel like i actually am disregarding and neglecting him and our relationship, our home and dog, our past and everything we have built together.

2 Likes

I thought of something else! A thought that helps me when i am really craving wine is that i will never regret not getting wasted…

2 Likes

I was reading about Kaizen last night and thought I’d search for a thread here about it because it fits so perfectly in sobriety.
I also love that this concept keeps me focused on so much more than sobriety. And I mean that - while my improvement certainly starts with sobriety, nothing really gets better if I stop there or become stagnant.
I connect with a gradual idea of this. That even small changes, maybe seemingly insignificant, can build into these great positive changes, consistency is the major key here for me.
Although, I’ve found that I have the most success when my goals are clearly defined, measurable. This is a huge key for me. Instead of “I want to start meditating” - “I will begin every morning with 15 minutes of prayer and meditation”. Small step? Yes, but consistency here allows for new larger, higher goals. And then reviewing and evaluating the process itself.
I just really love this concept.

3 Likes