What gifts has sobriety/recovery given you?

Sobriety has given me my life back. I was the life of the party and a fun drunk too but you know what?? I’m STILL fun but now I can stay up all night, remember all the things, drive myself home and sleep in my own bed.

Not to mention how much better my skin looks, not waking up hung over, not calling in sick because only a drink will help me.

You’ll find a lot of “whys” the longer you are sober. My favorite thing to tell people when they hear I am 20 months sober is “I should have done it 5 years ago”.

8 Likes

Umph I remember those times. As well as avoiding calls or seeing people cos I had NO IDEA what I did or said. So cringe!

For a while that was totally like a brag or badge of honour. Or at least something i would try and laugh off. But it started getting a bit scary. Before I stopped drinking altogether I had started drinking less often, but blacking out most times.

It is amazing to get a place where I realise that it is a choice that I get to make. To not be like that. To start with it felt like I was missing out on something by not drinking. Now I can only see how much I’ve gained. Even though it has been hard at times, dealing with all the stuff I used to try and drink at/ through.

4 Likes

Clarity!!!

4 Likes

Good luck on your journey !

1 Like

I think freedom is a good word. I never really noticed how locked at home i was all the time. Im 13 days sober, and just being able to leave the house to get something youre craving instead of paying absurd amounts of money for delivery is a really neat thing. And so many times a friend has spontaneously invited me to come hang out at like 1230 in the afternoon and i couldnt tell them i was already drunk and couldnt leave, so i had to lie. You take for granted the ability to just get up and grab your keys at a moments notice. Ive never been much for drinking and driving.

Natural energy is another thing. Instead of feeling depressed, tired, and anxious from the perpetual hangover at work, im feeling peppy and in a good mood most of the time. Thats a really big deal for me.

I know from past experience that my mind is going to continue to clear and sharpen as my body chemistry continues to level out to normal functioning. No more constant brain fog and terrible memory. No more constant stuttering and incapability of finding the right words through cerebral molasses.

No more waking up having a vague sense youve embarassed yourself or hurt someones feelings in a conversation or argument you dont even remember. Knowing youve pissed someone off but having no idea of anything you specifically said. Guess youll just generally apologize right? Might work the first or maybe even the second time.

Theres probably more but i dont want to ramble. Thanks for prompting me to take an inventory of the positives. Ive really been struggling with maintaining an interest in my sobriety, and this has helped a lot. Im gonna save this on my phone for when i start losing motivation.

4 Likes

Awesome post! Congrats on 13 days. You’ve got a great life ahead of you, and it’s amazing how much clearer my mind has become. I’m much better and verbalizing my thoughts. Date I say, I feel smart again. It does take time but the improvement is continuous, so it keeps you motivated, kinda like losing weight.

4 Likes

I need to remind myself of the positives as well. I went to my son’s banquet last night and talking to people who were drunk made me grateful I was not. I didn’t realize how stupid you sound to sober people… the slurring, the inability to keep eye contact, the lazy facial expressions.

4 Likes

Sobriety has given me everything alcohol promised, but couldn’t deliver. I now have a family that respects me and shows me love. For the first time, I celebrated Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, and my birthday sober. I’ve never laughed and smiled so much and remember everything!
I’ve paid out over $3000 in debt and I own no major credit cards.
My mom is in very good health, other than she can’t walk very far and she will be 98 this July. I no longer have to cancel our get together’s due to hangovers, and just plain didn’t care.
I pray for the strength to carry on in God‘s will, and not for selfish reasons. I have a wonderful sponsor, and we will be covering step 11 this week. I finally found the sane train🚂

10 Likes

Peace of mind.

4 Likes

I was on the brink of self destruction. Have you ever looked in the mirror and not recognize the person you had become? The hurt and pain under the surface of a puffy red face… who tf was I? I was losing my mind. Drunken staring at my hand reading my palm, my end was all but foretold in the stars :sparkles: I was losing it, I would lose it all, because I’m a loser, born from loser blood, bound by a blood oath to an outlaw testament…

When I chose sobriety, I got my whole life back. And now that its mine again, I’m not letting go.

3 Likes

Where to begin?! I think one of the best things I’ve gotten from sobriety is that I remember the things that happen in my life everyday except for brain farts that occur from being busy sometimes. There are many times I look back and can’t remember what happened and had to live with the regret of what people told me I did or just didn’t remember at all. I think that’s one thing that keeps me focused is I never want to feel out of control of my life again.

I sleep better now, I don’t feel like shit when I wake up except wishing I could sleep in lol. I’m more productive and organized. I have a huge backlog of stuff to organize and do at work and in my personal life and I’m chipping away at it now. These are all physical improvements.

Emotionally, I am thankful everyday. Things I took for granted while drinking I pay attention to everyday. I wake up and I try to send my wife a message everyday telling her something I’m thankful for about her everyday. I don’t always remember but I try!

Long story short, life is better and more clear this way. Do I have the occasional moment I miss having a drink? Occasionally as I push 30 days, but when that thought comes my mind immediately goes to all the things it nearly ruined in my life and the things I’m fighting for daily. Stay the course one day at a time it’s worth it!

3 Likes

Just one of many things… But it turns out that I’m a badass rock climber. I’ve reached new levels of commitment, been open to meeting more climbing people (and made some amazing friends) I’m in better physical shape and had more time to pursue this hobby. So yeah!! Turns out I’m a badass!! :muscle::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::muscle:

5 Likes

Clarity of thought. Which in turn has allowed me to make better decisions in every aspect of my life.

5 Likes

The greatest gift recovery has given me so far is just my ability to be present.
Today the need to use doesn’t fill my every thought.
Today I can be patient with my child.
Today I can show up for my family and friends.
Today I am here.

What gifts has recovery given you?

2 Likes

I sleep better…which I need to keep up with my busy 5 month old daughter. She’s a handful!

2 Likes

Yes! I feel the same way. Clarity of thought. Absolutely :heart:

2 Likes

I haven’t thought about jumping off a bridge in about 6 years. No better gift than that

5 Likes

Sobriety has given me, tenfold, more shit, that I now own. :poop:

The theme this year is “own your shit”. If I mess up, intentionally or not. it’s mine to own, no excuses.

2 Likes

Sobriety brought me freedom from shame, guilt and the compulsion to act out.

Eventually, it brought me the man I married :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

God bless the babies! It is awesome to hear, thank you for sharing. I am trying to soak in every moment I have with my 10 year old. They never stop being a handful, but parenthood is a gift. I am so grateful to have my baby. He reminds me of my purpose, even if it is, just for today, to work on my health and be present.

1 Like