What helps?

Struggling alcoholic and cocaine addict. I’ve reached a point after almost 5 years of ups and downs battling where I’m using very trepidatiously with the cocaine and still drinking normally (maybe a six pack a night after work). Regardless of the prudent action I take with dosage, results tend to worsen. I know I’m an addict and that this behavior is destructive. I would just like some advice on how it feels to be sober or what the end of an addiction feels like.

5 Likes

Welcome back @Nick1

The first step is admitting you have a problem and acknowledging something has got to change. Have you ever tried AA or NA?

AA and this app are an amazing support for me.

Its tough in the beginning but the cravings get less and less and you can learn healthier routines. I got sober 15months ago and i know a peace and joy i never thought was possible for me.

Recovery is possible. It wont be easy but it will be worth it!

1 Like

Welcome back Nick,

When I read this I would maybe rethink about what quantities are considered normal.

I hope you will find what you are looking for here. It’s a great community where you can find lots of information and support :sunflower:

1 Like

Sobriety is a journey thats different for everyone, for me ive had to do ALOT of work on myself and the reason i became an addict in the first place, i dont believe we are ever cured but i can tell u that now almost a year into sobriety i dont want to go back to drinking because my life, body and mind are so much better now

1 Like

Hey man, how’s it?

I spent a lot of my time drinking, probably spent more time drinking than anything else. It was fun, I liked it; until it wasn’t and until I didn’t.

When the first word out of mouth in the morning is “why”, it might be time to quit.

When you are hiding in a literal closet gagging down a warm can lf malt liquor, it might be time to quit.

When you have more downs than ups, it might be time to quit.

That’s where I was when I knew it was time to quit. But I didn’t.

I kept comparing my bottom with other peoples bottoms. I made the list of “Yets”. I justified my drinking anyway I could, even by moving the goal posts.

Fast forward 10 years… I finally, without a doubt had enough. I put the shovel down and stopped digging.

What was the end of my addiction like? Agony, despair, torture, living death, my life decaying before my eyes…

What is sobriety like? Its the opposite of addiction, joy, hope, pleasure, life. It’s a rebirth through hard work.

There’s not a moment I regret quitting; the lost friends, the change in lifestyle, etc. it was worth it. I got more out of sobriety than addiction ever gave. Addiction doesn’t give, it only takes.

Thank the maker that addiction didn’t take too much from me, just my reputation, my health, my drivers license, a lot of money, my rugged good looks, my integrity… Many people I know weren’t so lucky, addiction took them to an early grave.

So yeah, you’re young, don’t let that deter you from living your best life.

Wish you well.

2 Likes

Once you feel at peace and have gotten to the root of why you’re addicted, you won’t want to use.

Addiction does something for the person. Why risk health, safety, money otherwise? What does it do for you? The answer is probably emotional since you know it doesn’t make rational sense.

The addiction is a red herring of sorts. Stopping using is important but that’s when the real progress begins…

2 Likes