What is life?!

2 weeks today no alcohol and no drugs. So why would I be feeling down? Am I feeling down? I’m not sure what I’m feeling. Still feel numb in a way. However I have more happy moments than I used to, which is good. Still find myself trying to find the meaning of life. Maybe it doesn’t have anything to do with my sobriety but I’ve been self medicating since I was 12 and I’m 23 now so my whole life has been surrounded by drugs. Just trying to find things to do, people to meet…something, anything really. I just want to be happy, truly happy, for once. Just got to keep on keeping on, take it one day at a time, and keep coming and it will all work out if I stay sober :wink::blush::+1:

5 Likes

Congratulations, @Cdesmond13!

I have a suggestion for you. Why not set aside the money you’re saving from drugs and alcohol (don’t forget the drunk/hangover/munchies food you would buy, the ibuprofens for your head, the taxis home…consider everything and keep your weekly totals in a jar). Then use that money to take a trip somewhere. Is there somewhere you’ve always wanted to see? Go there! Bring a journal, write it all down so you can remember it for the rest of your life. I recommend something near a sea or ocean. My mom always said when you have big decisions to make in life, always consult the sea. There’s something about watching it that gives you clarity.

If where you want to go seems too expensive, remember that every day you don’t drink/use is an investment towards making it happen, and let it drive you.

Hope that helps,

-Taryn

10 Likes

I can honestly that is some of the best advice I have ever received. Thank you so much for reaching out! I will definitely start doing that. I’m from Boston so I absolutely love the ocean. And the journal idea is fantastic. Thanks again !!

4 Likes

Ooh @TJMc that’s an incredible idea.
@Cdesmond13 we all have our up and down days in sobriety because now we’re dealing with everything clearly, without numbing. I’m glad to see your positive attitude about the future even in your down moment. That’s very inspiring.

2 Likes

Thank you for reaching out.

A friend of mine uses meetup.com to find groups, activities in her area. Hiking, cooking, shows, sports, volunteering etc. Someone basically creates a group or event and you sign up! Get out there and congrats on your 2 weeks :slight_smile: maybe there is even a sobriety group out there for you.

1 Like

Awesome! Will check it out. Thanks so much!

1 Like

I recently did a walk in France/Spain called the Camino de Santiago. I would recommend looking it up if you havnt heard of it. It’s a 800km walk over 30+ days so plenty of time for reflecting, having fun and an amazing experience. Not for everyone, but it sure was an adventure for me!

3 Likes