What is the most embarrassing sort of thing that happened to you in a fellowship meeting?

At a meeting I went to regularly, we had an “AA cat”. Nobody knew where he lived or what he was called. He just turned up as the meetings started and left when the business was finished. One evening I was sitting at the back a and the cat wandered in and sat on the empty seat next to me. The meeting was underway and the chair started to tell us about his experiences, aspirations and hopes for the future.
I hadn’t realised the cat had gone to sleep and I almost unconsciously lent over to stroke it. The chair was recounting a tragic part of his life and everyone was listening with a respectful silence, the cat screamed and I jumped up swearing, trying to shake off this big black mammal that was attached to my arm by teeth and claws.

8 Likes

I went to my first meeting and the caretaker who opened the rom for the meeting had a big white rabbit and i was sitting still shaking and head down when this big furry thing came waking past , the guy laughed said alot on newcomer were suprised lol

5 Likes

This happened at the very first meeting of AA that l had ever been to - and it was almost my last!

My older sister had dragged me along to a local meeting that she had found out about.

I wasn’t really in the mood to go. I was kicked out of rehab earlier in the week because l returned from day leave with alcohol in my system.

I was feeling pretty embarrassed and hopeless at that point.

We arrived at the meeting and introduced ourselves to the chair and a few others.

One of the older sober members smiled and energetically shook our hands,and said looking at me “ Haven’t we met somewhere before?!”

I wished at that moment that l could have crawled under a rock!

1 Like