What it was like then and what it's like for us now. For those with a year of sobriety

Thanks for sharing :pray::slight_smile:

ā€œI listened to people who had been there and were where I wanted to beā€

Totally agree with this sentence, lots of people ask for help but donā€™t want to listen, I know I didnā€™t listen until I was really ready.

4 Likes

Geoff, you are a treasured part of this community. You definitely have enhanced my sobriety and I thank you for it.

We just have to be brave enough to take it.

For me, that bravery took the form of trusting that everything is gonna be alright, even in the midst of what looks like chaos. The day that message was given to me, the day I stopped drinking, was the worst day of my life from an outsiderā€™s judgement. I was arrested yet again and was looking at a long jail sentence and for sure an end to my drinking.

But I was told everything is gonna be alright and I will be able to stop drinking now. I believed that voice then and today. My courage comes from trusting that voice and that simple message.

6 Likes

Amazing story Geoff, I love hearing about your experiences and adventures. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

@anon12657779 ā€œBecause I thought I wasnā€™t that bad. After all isnā€™t an alcoholic a man who is sleeping rough with bottles of cheap cider after losing everything?ā€.
I used to think that. Then I became that alcoholic! Just with bottles of cheap vodka instead of cheap cider.
Iā€™m not sober for a year yet this time round but Iā€™m looking forward to looking back when I am. :blush:

1 Like

This made my Sunday morning. So appreciate your contributions to TS. Congrats to you on what sounds like a very fulfilling life. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

These stories are so humbling. Thank you for sharing and please donā€™t stop posting them. Even repeats need to be read by us newbies. Wow, @anon12657779. Did your wife quit drinking, too?
My brotherā€™s last words in ICU were, ā€œI fucked up. I went back to drinking.ā€ Two painful weeks later heā€™d be dead. At 45. Haunts me every day.

8 Likes

For me itā€™s the little things, the simple things that make it worth it.

People can count on me now.

Last night at midnight I got a call from my 17 year old son ā€¦ he had drained the battery on the car and was stranded. I drove out ā€¦gave him a boostā€¦and all was good.

All because I am sober now.

A little over a year ago, the same call would have produced me getting angry and having the option to drive drunk or inconvenience others because I was drunk.

Those are the little things that keep making this sobriety thing worth it!

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing that man, so powerful. I can truly relate to the notion of realizing you have a problem but not being ready yet for sobriety. Been there and done that.

Congrats to you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There he is, Geoff, one of the most kind hearted, giving and sincere person I know.
I admire your determination and ability to set and reach goals. And Iā€™ve sooo much to learn from you @anon12657779 :sparkles::heart_eyes::sparkles:

2 Likes

@MandiH - always there with a smile and solid mindfulness. Thank you
@BJM- your welcome. This forum is full of inspiring people, we all inspire each other so much.
@SinceIAwoke- Dan, my man, how can I forget you bud. " Everything will be alright"! That is such a powerful message and I remember reading a post where you said that and it rang massive bells with me. Just having the confidence that everything will be alright. That reminds me of one of the TS quoteā€™s " if you can dream it you can do it" thank you! :facepunch:
@aircircle Ariel, I think it was you and Mandi who I connected with at first. I also didnā€™t realise how close I am to you in our journeys. At the time, you were where I wanted to be and you seemed so strong. Thank you.
@Piglet, Graham buddy, we get there when we get there, our journeys are our own! Stay strong.
@LeeHawk- thank you my friend, for listening.
@Figgie, at first my wife cut down, then she started drinking at home once I was comfortable with it. Now she only drinks when she goes out with friends. She hasnā€™t drank at home in ages. Her choice!
@Gak- totally agree brother. Little things! :facepunch:
@Nordique- thanks :facepunch:
@Fireweed, my beautiful lady of the north! The rough times youā€™ve had over this past couple of years have not deterred your sober course .
That is inspiring in and of itself.

5 Likes

Well damn old sport! Getting after it. Glad I could help another alcoholic.

Amazing how much change does occur in that one year, and how long it seems to take. Seems like forever as opposed to the second year which moves pretty swiftly but I think thatā€™s because of all the work you put in that first year.

Appreciate your no nonsense approach brother.

4 Likes

Cheers David!
:facepunch:

1 Like

Thank you all for sharing your truly remarkable journeys, so inspiring for a determined newcomer to read. Day 10 and honestly, you all on this forum are helping so much. Does time speed up a little the further into recovery you get?

2 Likes

Best not to worry about what happens.
As you have said on your thread.
Best to stay in today in the now and take it as it comes.
Everyoneā€™s journey is different.

4 Likes

Amazing. Great and brave journey youā€™re on Geoff. So proud of you. I want to thank you Geo as you have been one of the friends on this forum who has been pivotal in my own sober journey. The kindness and wisdom in your posts have helped me to be sober, and for that I am so grateful! :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @anon12657779! When I started on this forum, you were definitely one of my inspirations. Your posts always have so much meaning, truth and experience. Thank you for being you. :heart:

3 Likes

Donā€™t you mean exposure? :thinking::joy:
Sorry, couldnā€™t resist.:innocent:

@anon12657779 Love you dude, when I give outside credit for helping me to get started on this journey, you know you get a mention!! :heart_eyes::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Yesā€¦I meant exposure. Thanks for the reminder Cate.

2 Likes

@Lisa07
@C_8
The sisters! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Love you two. Youā€™ve done so much for others including me even though you both had troubles at first.
Thanks for reminding me Cate! :rofl:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think you realise just what an influence you have been to me and many others my friend.
Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like