What made me quit alcohol

I just found this app and decided to have it as a daily reminder of what made me decide to never touch alcohol again.
I’m only 21 and I started very young, at 14. My life wasn’t the brightest and it was my way of escapism. I then cut off my unhealthy relationships and was clean for a bit before relapsing again. I felt miserable and alcohol seemed to cheer me up. Recently I started drinking for other reasons, to have fun.
But this weekend I scared my family by going unconscious. I don’t remember my sister crying or calling for help and caring for me as I was completely out of my mind. In my memory, I downed another glass and just went to sleep.
That was the second time I passed out that way and this time has gone too far. I now know that I can’t be trusted with alcohol. Hopefully this app and friends will be enough to help me stay clean.

15 Likes

Welcome to TS :sunflower:
Have a good read around and share your journey. Here’s a thread for resources for recovery if you want to have a read.
Take it one day at a time. Sober rocks!

4 Likes

That would be frightening Val. But I’m glad you’ve learned a lesson early on as opposed to much much later in life. Trust me when I say, I wish I had learned early on as it’s lead to a lifetime of regrets.
Do read others’ stories, reach out when you need support and I hope you have a wonderful supportive group of friends and family that love you unconditionally.

Welcome to a new and amazing life choice.

5 Likes

Welcome Val!
I applaud you for recognizing your unhealthy relationship with alcohol at such a young age. This is a progressive disease and will only get worse, never better over time. Friends and family are a great support but they just don’t understand the magnitude of this disease. I had to surround myself with like minded people and I found that in AA. That link @erntedank posted above has some great resources. Try different programs until you find the right fit. Wishing you the best on your journey.

3 Likes

Just chiming in a welcome, Val! Congratulations on making this important decision. Glad you are here!:heart:

4 Likes

Hi @Val_2024. A cheery welcome to the TS community. Blacking out like you did can be scary for you and those around you. Glad you’re safe and choosing sobriety at such an early point in your life. This decision will benefit you in ways that you can’t imagine. Stick around, chat, read stories, there are lots of friendly people here who can offer support. To add to @erntedank’s helpful post, a resource that helped me as a newbie is:
What’s YOUR plan?
Sobriety can be overwhelming. This resource helps create you a plan that works for you. All the best, you’ve got this!

3 Likes