What to do about aa meeting

For my first meeting is it alright it’s a steps or should it be a beginner???
I’m contemplating going tonight
But when I read people’s stories I relate so much and I’m like maybe I should talk
Ugh I dunno

7 Likes

My first one was a step meeting. The group of guys really took care of me. I would say go to what ever one you can get to.

4 Likes

Oh…
And GO!!! it will be the best thing you do for yourself

3 Likes

Turn up and listen if you feel comfortable and want to share its up to you, there is no pressure and only one rule - The desire to stop drinking alcohol.

4 Likes

Second this. Just GO!!

The meeting Type doesn’t really matter. Everyone is at every meeting for the same reason. To stop drinking and/or help other people to stop drinking.

I have seen a couple other post from ya and I can see you (original poster) are ready. So just go. You won’t regret it

4 Likes

Get in there man

1 Like

Ugh so I chickened out
But I didn’t drink today so I guess it’s a win
I just need this feeling to go away
The anxiety
Like I legit feel so run down and exhausted
And I don’t know …I have related to so many people on this forum already
I’m scared I won’t relate in the meetings
Sorry my thoughts are all over the place
My mind is legit racing

3 Likes

Nothing to fear but fear itself.

What if you don’t relate? What if it’s horrible?

What if you do relate? What if you find your people?

I’ve never left a meeting feeling worse than when I walked in, for me it always helped, I always felt a little better about life after, the world got a little less dim always, when I was enraged I would walk out seeing a lot less red.

This place has been invaluable to me, keep checking in here daily if it’s helping

4 Likes

Just attend, find a group you feel comfortable in, by this I mean don’t just turn up once and think absolutely not! Go a few times and stick with them.
Any meeting that welcomes anyone (open meeting) is suitable for beginners you will find more advanced group meetings are closed and you won’t hear about it.

I’d say go for a couple of weeks, then find a sponsor asap for the steps. And get them done sharpish

2 Likes

Just go to meetings lots of them. The more the better find ones you like, and stick with them, I go to one I thought I wasn’t gonna like and I love it,

2 Likes

How do you get a sponsor?

Go to meetings, hang out with the fellas before and after meetings. If someone stands out with their story, and it resonates with you, they have some decent sobriety and are willing to sponsor, just ask them to walk you through the steps.

Attend a few meetings and you’ll be able to see it’s not a tedious search or process

1 Like

I would just go. Raise my hand, say I’m new and I’d like some phone numbers. Boom your on your way

2 Likes