What to do when you mentally start relapsing

What to do when you mentally start to relapse

6 Likes

Reach out to others for support and remember that you have nothing to gain by drinking and everything to lose.

10 Likes

Double down on your tools. Do you usually go to meetings? Hit more, share more. Do you read quit lit? Listen to podcasts? Try a new one.
In what way do you feel like you are mentally relapsing? I had the same feeling late last year, as someone in AA I started going to a different group, got a new sponsor.

10 Likes

That is the first stage i was told before relapsing, so reach out to this forum for help DO NOT be dragged back to hell, play the scenario forward and all the crap that goes with it, keep posting here.

8 Likes

First I check HALT. When I’m hungry I eat, even better junk food than a relapse. When I’m angry I make a pot of tea, sit with my feelings, write them down, dig to the ground because anger often is only a cover, call someone to talk about. When I feel lonely I pet my cats, write gratitude, turn to all in life I’m grateful for and give myself a pat on the back. Sometimes I call or text people, go for a walk or grab a book. When I’m tired I go to sleep or take a nap.
Training to look where the cravings come from helps me to be aware of my needs. And to set healthy boundaries.

9 Likes

Thank you everybody. I didn’t expect so many responses. This is definitely a good tool to use In recovery. God bless all yall

5 Likes

Get help. From here, my recovery program

4 Likes

If your got a sponsor lift the phone

6 Likes

Why did you quit? What are some things you could lose if you don’t quit? Write it down on paper and keep it in your purse or wallet.

Another exercise when you get further into sobriety is to think of things you are grateful for now that you are sober.

3 Likes

Go to YouTube and search the word meditation. There are volumes of audio and video.

1 Like

Write down all the reasons why you needed to stop. All the horrendous things and health affects it had on you.

When you start to feel the urge, read that list as one of the tools to stop falling back to rock bottom

2 Likes

I don’t block it out, and I imagine (as honestly as I can) what is going to happen in the next few hours if I drink. The scenario always ends in disaster, there is no way of chopping it up to make it work, and no amount of mental gymnastics can put it in a good light as long as I am totally honest with myself about how the next day, week, month, year will pan out. And remember as an addict, mental gymnastics is my forte, and even I can’t polish this turd

6 Likes

Stop going to meetings. Isolate. Get depression. Feel shame.
But If can give you 5 minutes it’ll pasa

1 Like

So try to stay close to s meeting or your sponsor

1 Like

Whats going on are you ok ?

2 Likes