What to expect at an AA meeting?

Can anyone tell me what an open AA meeting is like?? Thinking about going…

1 Like

I’m following this. I’m interested in knowing as well.

It’s hard to say cuz it can depend on the group and the meeting type. Usually there are readings and folks sharing their experience. If you go early or stay late, folks usually hang out and chat.

It’s just a bunch of folks talking about life and recovery like here on TS. Some come just to listen, some to talk. One may be called on but it’s perfectly fine to pass on anything.

Best way to find out is to see it yourself. :wink:

To quote @MoCatt:

Also, there’s usually coffee. Strong coffee.

4 Likes

Come for the coffee, stay for the sobriety!

5 Likes

It depends upon the type of meeting. An open meeting is open to anyone:alcoholics, addicts, famiky,friends, community people,those wanting to learn more about AA…

Having said that, there are different types of open meetings.

Some are speaker meetings, where one or more people will tell their story(is). What drinking was like, what happened to let them know they had to change, and what life in sobriety is like.

Some are Big Book meetings, where a step or stories are discussed. Some are discussion meetings where everyone who wants to may share their thoughts on a given topic .

At all, the meeting may open and/or close with the serenity prayer or another prayer. You are welcome to participate or not. Someone will ask if it is anyone’s very first AA meeting. People are welcome to introduce themselves -or not.

Someone will hand out chips to mark milestones in sobriety. The white chip is given to anyone who wants to stop drinking and start a sober life.

What am I leaving out, y’all?

9 Likes

That’s about it! :+1:

@Ash143, Anything you need to know is likely covered at the top of the meeting. “No crosstalk” is one here. That is, refraining from speaking to another person’s program.

When others speak, we listen. Good advice in general, now that I think on it. :rofl:

4 Likes

Well just went to my 1st AA meeting. It was good. I can relate everyone although they were mostly older than me… I am not shy at work (being a hairstylist) or with people I know, but for some reason I can not get myself to get up the nerve to speak to a group of people!!! I get shy and nervous… especially about me… my mess of a life. Maybe one day I will get the courage. God put me here for a reason.

5 Likes

Yes. You covered it. I went to my 1st one tonight. It was pretty cool to know I’m not alone and there are other chirstians who struggle like me… idk if everyone was Christian but they did say the serenity prayer in the beginning and the Lord’s Prayer at the end, while everyone got in a circle at the end and said the prayer with our arms on each other’s shoulders. I did not stay to chat or try to get a sponsor. Just wanted to get a feel of what it is like. Still new to this. I need to change my mindset and thinking 1st.

6 Likes

That’s great that you went to one! I’m going to try on Wednesday which will also be one month for me. I’ve never been to a mtg and I’m super nervous. Your comments really help.

4 Likes

I sat in my car for a few minutes contemplating on going in, but then realized well I’m already here. Let me see what it about. Not bad really. Kinda like this app how everyone tell their experiences except in real life… if that makes any sense… lol and if people cuss it wasn’t a big deal cuz they were expressing their feelings and shit. Lol real people. Real problems. Getting through life together.

7 Likes

Thanks. I’ll be glad when I finally go! Congrats to you :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Good to see this. This is one of those “get out of your comfort zone” things.
Don’t worry too much about speaking yourself. This will come in time. Just go to listen.
Changing your mindset is good, very good and is easy if you are willing to do anything.
All the best. :grinning:

1 Like

That’s awesome that you went.
The Lord’s prayer is really traditional because AA stated as an off shoot from the Oxford group in the 30s and so most meetings I’ve been to use the Lord’s prayer to close the meeting.
I went to different meetings before I chose a home group and I went to speaker meetings to find someone I connected with.
I found my sponsor around 3 weeks sober.

1 Like

I love all of this information. Everything is helpful and makes it all seem much less frightening. I’ve been wanting to go to a meeting lately and join a group but have been dragging my feet and am scared shitless. I hope I can work up the nerves one day soon.
I’ve been to a meeting before a couple of times and the experience did not go well however, it was a forced experience. Unsure how other states or countries like to handle their alcohol related criminal offenses, but here they love to force AA on people. So I didn’t take it seriously and I feel as though the members felt the same exact way. And maybe I need to do a bit more research but the meeting I found was full of retired men who looked like they enjoyed hunting, fishing, and farming in their spare time. Although I do enjoy the company of anyone, I felt like an elephant in the room! 20 yr old (at the time) female from the suburbs.
So far I love the community here, and I feel like it’s going to help me reach out and join a group soon. Just working up the courage with some baby steps.

3 Likes