What was anyone’s experience in the first month of sobriety?

First couple weeks very tired, got a few migraines. That was about it relative to physical symptoms. Took about a month for me to allow myself to believe I could do it.

1 Like

It was tough. I came off of suboxone, klonopin, and alot of liquor. Half a gallon of scotch every other day. It got really crazy at the end. I woke up in a parking lot and could not figure out how I got there. I went home and my wife said I was gone for five days. I didnt remember anything. Went to detox at a local rehab. It fuckibg sucked. The dr said the withdrawals would be fast for the benzo and alcohol. Tge suboxone would be a grind. It was. About 5 weeks of hell. I’m on day 36. The longest I have been clean in 25 years. I feel good. I sleep good. Eating relight and going to 2 meetings a day. Life is actually manageable. I never gave getting clean a chance. I would relapse after a couple of weeks. Thought I would never feel better. I feel as good as ever.

7 Likes

Impending doom type anxiety.
Detox was miserable.
Self loathing and dissapointment in myself.
Paranoid.

I did have moments where i felt good. Mostly because was staying sober. But the mind fuck about sobriety and whether i really wanted it or not was always debating in my head.

I slipped for a couple of days at 7 months sober. That proved to myself that im a real alcoholic. It scared me enough to know that want sobriety.

I was really disgusted with myself after that but i didnt stay there very long.

115 days later, im feeling really good. Im achieving goals and doing things I wouldnt do if i was still drinking.

Im feeling proud of myself and comfortable in my own skin. Which is a nice change.

7 Likes

I am over 4 months sober now, but I remember I was sweating, drinking lots of ice cold water and was very tired.

1 Like

I am only on day 5 of detox, this is my 3rd relapse from alcohol. I’m being medicated for my withdrawal symptoms and cravings. I can’t sleep and it’s draining me mentally and physically. But I can say the medication is working. Either that or I’m coming realize how I never actually wanted to drink. My brain told me I needed to. Thankfully I have lost cravings and my hands and anxiety are steady for the first time in months. I can wait to see how I feel as I stick with this.

5 Likes
  • I became happy again
  • Was able to sleep properly
  • Motivated
  • I became less selfis

It was great actually, but of course, I’m a gaming addict and had barely any PAWS

1 Like

My first 30 days were spent learning to be comfortable being uncomfortable, be it physically, emotionally, or spiritually. It was learning that it’s ok to feel angry, or sad, or “meh”. It was trying new things to replace drinking rituals.

If you’ve ever had a bad sunburn, first there’s pain, then maddening itchiness, and disgusting peeling. This is all part of the healing process. Your new skin is underneath, to be wisely nourished and cared for. The thing it doesn’t need is more sun. Sure, your intentions might be to get a bit of a tan, but no one goes out intending to get sunburned.

13 Likes

Hell. Hell. Hell. It was so miserable. I thought I would never feel better. Hurt my bladder. Still repairing itself. I can’t go back. 288 days. God is good.

3 Likes

Usually it’s horrific. But this time round I decided to try AA and I am blessed to be living in a sober home. Same setup as Oxford House USA.

I am busy busy busy working the steps, doing service, volunteering, meetings, shares, big book.

I’m now just over 8 weeks in and it felt like yesterday I arrived. Life is good. Just living in the day

1 Like

The first week was a real shit show. Couldn’t sleep, and when I did I had vivid nightmares, some of which were about drinking. Then I woke up stiff as a board and my whole body hurt. The emotional rollercoaster was a blast. Coffee and sweets helps replace the empty calories your body is used to, which makes the cravings more manageable. Around the 10th day my withdrawal symptoms seemed to vanish over night. Other than the dreaded daytime fatigue, I feel great both physically and mentally. I’ve become quite fond of looking in the mirror every morning and not seeing myself hungover and looking half dead. No pain, no guilt.

4 Likes

I always tried weaning myself off by controlling the drink (which never worked for me) so I decided to go cold turkey. The inititial 4 days withdrawing were hell, both mentally and physically. By day 5 I managed to feel slightly better. I got my appetite back slowly, I started looking after myself again and I distracted myself as much as possible to avoid that craving! I’m 23 days sober now - I’m still battling with the ticks my mind are playing on me so it is an emotional roller coaster for sure but if you put positive steps in place moving forward it will help massively. So for me that was going to AA, exercising, reading and researching about alcoholism, writing, social activities that does not involve drink.

4 Likes

I know it’s not much but I’m on day 2. This is my first try on long term sobriety. So far I’m feeling…

Anxious. Talking on the phone makes me anxious. Talking to my partner makes me anxious. Sitting still makes me anxious.

Cold sweats at night and not being able to sleep through the night.

Upset stomach. Not being able to eat or drinking without getting nausea.

Sad, embarrassed, ashamed.

A positive feeling I’m experiencing is feeling a little more motivated and inspired to push through this. I did yoga this morning and worked out at home after work. Drank a lot of water and coconut water to help hydrate (my urine is almost clear now lol). Listened to Recovery Elevator. Substituted Instagram with Sober Time. Chewed gum. Cleaned the house. Pet my cat. Crocheted. Watch Criminal Minds SVU. Trying to do things I know I love but forgot because I was drowning myself in alcohol.

I know it’ll get better and the negative feelings will start to go away. I hope they do for you too! :v:&:heart:

6 Likes

Well, in 1 hour I will have 1 month of sobriety, so here’s what I’ve experienced:

• I sleep better
  • I’ve been more focused at work
  • i crave sweets more than usual
  • More money in my pocket. (I think I’ve probably saved over $100, or at least didn’t spend it on beer)
  • No headaches
  • and the most important: My wife says my mood is better, and I’m more enjoyable to be around
8 Likes

I’m on Day 32 today.
I went through every emotion during the month. Still am now.
My sleep is still a mess.
I’ve never been a sweet tooth, but at night when I used to drink, I crave sugar.
My digestion has improved.
Weight loss noticeable at week 3 mark.
No headaches luckily but some colour auras.
Hungry one day, not hungry the next.
Luckily no anxiety.
I didnt have withdrawals as such as I’m a binge drinker and would sometimes go 3 nights a week without drinking if I was working more. But I think I’m going through some PAWS actually.
I’m hoping month 2 will allow me better sleep!!! So over this insomnia :frowning:

6 Likes

I know how you feel, some days I feel like I can’t get out of bed and a few days I’ve felt like I’ve had a hangover can’t work that one out lol, my wife has been a rock since I was honest with her and told her I needed her help. I don’t know about your relationship but telling her everything might help

1 Like

I’m on day 17. Now I am feeling the raw emotions without covering them up with alcohol. I feel annoyed, irritable, pissed, and unhappy. I might get a good moment here and there and I go to my happy place. Anxiety and depression is going away. I get angry at why I can’t drink just 1 drink, then I think about how shitty I feel the day after, and how unproductive I was in the evenings when I drank the most. So right now it’s a roller-coaster for me. Hope it gets better soon🙏

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I hit the reset button just a few days after being 30 days sober. It was a real shame because right around 2 weeks, I began feeling the best I had felt in a very long time.

Those first 10 days, though? Like many others have said, a full range of emotions. Happiness, depression, anxiety, paranoia, hope, despair.

With alcohol being a depressant, its believed the mind begins to fire on overdrive after we quit the substance - after being so use to operating at that capacity to balance out the depressant. How true that is? Who knows. But it does make some sense with withdrawal symptoms being sweating, anxiety, hypersensitivity.

I think the thing that sometimes stings a lot of us, at the very least me and a few close to me, is that you begin to feel comfortable with your sobriety again - happy. Content. Hey, nothing wrong with knocking back a few, right? You’ve got it under control again.

And that’s why I’m back on day 5ish again…again.

We live and we learn. Stay strong :innocent:

4 Likes

Hi Monica, I too am struggling not with the need to drink but with a clear head you can see everything that you once blocked out with
Booze. As a result I feel depressed. I am certain that this is right, keep strong the others are the weak ones

2 Likes

Yeah You’re right. Things do seem more clear these days and I realized that I haven’t felt like this in years. Sorry about your depression. Hope you feel better soon🙏

2 Likes

So hard. I constantly felt the need to relapse. My skin twitches, itches, tickled, and I felt weird sensations throughout my body. Like I could physically feel in my skin where I wanted to cut. It was so intense that I’d have to sit on my hands or hold ice forever to feel better. The only thing is, it never actually got rid of the sensation. It still comes sometimes.