What's everyone's opinion on how society normalizes alcohol abuse?

Me too! :joy: Mmmmm one of my fave things about sobriety is how much I appreciate caring for my body. I like taking a swim. I like the steam room. I like walks in the forest. I like eating a really good healthy meal.

Life is good and when Iā€™m sober I appreciate it so much more :smiley: I canā€™t believe I didnā€™t realize this before!

2 Likes

:smiling_imp: Pour a glass of OJ letā€™s get drunkā€¦ Wait itā€™s breakfast I donā€™t drink, especially not for breakfastā€¦ I quitā€¦ It will kill me if I have even a sipā€¦ I am intolerantā€¦ :coffee::older_woman::100:

2 Likes

Precisely! Word for word. I get a little down, and I think, ā€œTighten up the ponytail, throw in everything green, fruit, yogurt, flax, macha, trendy shit I canā€™t pronounce for good healthā€ and I feel like Iā€™m reborn before I sample my pudding-brown, seedy drink. It kick-starts me into making another good decision or looking up something fun coming up that I can focus on.
It really is different on this side. Day 41ā€¦hanging in strong. Hard not to fear failing. But, what, one day at a time? Itā€™s terrifying being on Day 41. Canā€™t say it was scarier than Day 2, or canā€™t think it will be any different from Day 90 or Day 735.
Everyone in recovery needs a steamroom! #GoFundUsInSoberTime

2 Likes

Running out was a 4-Alarm fire. I learned never to allow that b/c I KNEW Iā€™d go out and buy more. Unless it was after ā€œlegal selling hourā€ so Iā€™d dig around the house, eventually passout. Gawd, how UGLY that is!
I have alcohol in the house, but itā€™s the two kinds I donā€™t drink, so it hasnā€™t even been a thought. And I donā€™t think it will be. #BitterBeerFace

2 Likes

Yes we do! God if there was a gym just for people in recovery weā€™d all have a blast :joy:

One day at a time. One step at a time. Youā€™ve got this. :smile:

2 Likes

I used to be mad at the drink for giving me cirrhosis. I blamed the normality of it and the fact that it was legal. We alcoholics take it too far. Like anything, itā€™s OK in moderation. My view of it now is a slight shrug while saying thereā€™s nothing we can do about it. People want to get wasted? So be itā€¦thereā€™s so much shit advertised out there that isnā€™t good for you this is just another one of those examples.

3 Likes

What, I think last year I saw a couple of ā€œnon-alcoholā€ BARS popping up! At the time I thought, HELL, NAH!!! Now itā€™s more like :thinking::thinking::thinking:.
Funnyā€¦left the house to pick my daughter up from HS and a stupid ā€œNEWSā€ thing popped up about some guy in the Atlanta parade on a float, caught the beer a fan threw, and slammed it. First of allā€¦Eeeeew!!! Secondly, why was it a STOP EVERYTHING ALERT from ATL when in CA? Grrrrrrā€¦Alcohol promoā€¦itā€™s everywhere!

2 Likes

Oh man it is everywhere :unamused: but that is just part of it. Our escape route has been part of our life for so long that the first period after the breakup is hard. Itā€™s all we can think about, how angry we are at it. But gradually we grow into new things. Onwards and upwards :innocent:

1 Like

Where I live in Asia ā€œkitchen partiesā€ day drinking night drinking breakfast drinking is the NORM. Itā€™s always a party either tourists or locals. All the local restaurants employ ā€œPGā€ pretty girls to try to sell whatever brand of beer they represent. There is no soda water girl. LOL. It is everywhere. Need a sign for your shop? The state run beer factory will pay for all your supplies (fridge, tables, signs) as long as it displays their beer logo. Itā€™s too much.

1 Like

Based on what ive read this seems to be the case. Interesting article here -

4 Likes

Yep wasnā€™t my kind neither but I still thought it this morningā€¦ Dont know whyā€¦ Thatā€™s an improvement from hearing it thoughā€¦ :neutral_face: I figured if I could make it past Jose, Captin Morgan and Parrot Bay (donā€™t let that Bird on the bottle fool ya folks :100:) while picking up that Turkey for him that I wasnā€™t even gonna open the cabinet doorā€¦ It can gobble all it wants toā€¦ Only Turkey I want is roastedā€¦ :joy::joy::joy:

Alot of the times people do not realize how far drinking parties go but at the same time freedom to drink is always brought up. I always say if u think you have it uncontrollable or itā€™s making you lack In certain areas it should be brought up.

1 Like

I just got back from a business trip to Tijuana and that place looked like s dream destination for allsorts of vices. Brits would love that place to drink in the sun but itā€™s luckily too far away.

3 Likes

If you look at the statistics in the uk. Alcohol causes more social unrest then all the illegal drugs put together.

3 Likes

Its definitely normalized more than I realized before I got sober. Literally ebery TV show I watch, except Mom where theyre all in AA, all they do is drink. They carry flasks, open wine as soon as they walk in the door, seems like every other scene someone is having a drink. However, rarely do they ever show anyone intoxicated. So people think that if you start slurring or stumbling, or show any sign of intoxication you must have just had too much, no one on TV gets drunk off 3 drinks! They go out and solve crimes or save lives after 3 drinks with a flask in their pocket! Bars and liquor stores on literally every corner here in Metro Detroit. Online datiing the first thing people ask is you want to grab a drink? Even during Prohibition they just created speakeasys and glorified it even more. To some extent marijuana is becoming the same way. Think about how often you see people on television or in movies smoking a joint like a cigarette, then going and doing something like theyre in no way fucked up from it. Its never going to get any better unfortunately. Just have to keep carrying the message and trying to help those you can when they realize what theure doing isnt normal. Great thread. Thanks for starting it.

3 Likes

Of course we are all responsible for our own sobriety and we can play the blame game all we want but Iā€™m pretty sure it comes down to us all being responsible for our own actions. But we are a society of drinking. A LOT !! Iā€™m on a text message list for the restaurant at the club where I live and I just got this text. Seriously just now.

Does your NYā€™s resolution have you feeling the winter time blues? Sneak down to the Meadow Bar for $2 off ALL draft beers! We wonā€™t tellā€¦

I mean Cā€™MON!! It is part of our society. And usually I would have enjoyed that notice. I prefer to hear when itā€™s taco night or pizza and pastabilities night. But hey it is what it is.
Some of us just canā€™t take that first drink.
:pray::heart:

1 Like

Yeah the stereotypes are reinforced heavily all across the board. Just like with tobacco companies, cute animated characters play on our imaginations. Drink specials. Discounts, wine and beer by the case for great savings. Relax a little bit, have a drink and get to know everybody. When was the last time you saw a party scene on any media where people were just standing there with nothing in their hand?

2 Likes

Ladies half price on Tuesdays! 2 for 1 rail drinks!

2 Likes

Yea I notice it a lot more now that I am not drinking. I feel like I am in the Matrix and am the only one who chose the red pill.

3 Likes

Omg this is the difference. Iā€™ve never been able to just have one. Or half for that matter. My husband drinks non-alcoholic beer, because he likes the taste. For me, non-alcoholic booze is a massive trigger.

2 Likes