What's the best thing about sobriety for you?

Hi there. I’m sober 31 day in a row, and today i thought that i enjoy my mornings without hangover the most! Even if there’s not enough sleep i feel rather good, without that dizziness :blush: and what about you?

15 Likes

For me it’s the internal fizz of anxiety that has completely gone! I still get triggered occasionally and the alcohol voice is still there (very faintly) but that anxiety and constant heavy feeling has disappeared! Not sure when exactly this happened I just noticed one day that I didn’t feel like I was fizzing - don’t quite know how to explain the feeling but I’m pretty sure it’s quite common for us sobbies :woman_shrugging:t3: my mind feels clearer, that’s the best bit for me! Hope this makes sense? Congrats on 31 days! :ok_hand:t2::pray:t2::two_hearts:

11 Likes

Being sober

10 Likes

Im just starting a new leg of tjis journey, but I lived on long leg witb no alcohol…so it gives me lots of hope.

My fav thing about being sober is that I know everything else will follow. Life can be a lot sometimes, and I certainly have felt like i just want or could use or even need a drink over this past yr and a half. Things swirl in terms of trying to figure out what to do next, and all I have to do is not drink…just today. One day at a time. And everything else will follow. Kind of amazing.

Being connected is another thing.

My emotions is another thing.

Trusting myself (working on that) is another thing.

Having a crap day, and not making it worse is another thing.

Xo.

11 Likes

Great post. I know what you mean.

6 Likes

Self pride…i can look myself in the mirror now and feel like im a decent person and a good mother

14 Likes

Good morning!
This is a great question. There are many favorites for me, here they are, approximately in order:

-significant reduction of anxiety replaced by an overwhelming sense of peace.

• free time and money to do things I actually want to do
  • excellent sleep
  • good physical health
  • not having to be enslaved to the call of booze

I call all that my freedom!

14 Likes

The pride that comes from changing my life when I saw it heading into a direction I didn’t want it to go. So many people get stuck into a horrible rut and never change. If something isn’t working try something new.

8 Likes

Peace and joy

9 Likes

Just being able to DEAL with life, instead of trying to hide from it.

9 Likes

Slowly but trying be more organised in every way.

7 Likes

Inner calm

10 Likes

Being able to work on my inner demons and finally beginning to make sense of myself and the world.

14 Likes

Oh yeah all of this. :heart:

Just feeling mentally stable all round really.

Also gonna add; not being so full of fear all the time.

9 Likes

Freedom.

I think that one word sums it up.

12 Likes

Yeah that’s it! The fizzing fear has gone :+1::two_hearts:

3 Likes

Congrats on a whole month! Well done. :muscle:

Openess. I’m not constantly worried about people noticing boozy breath, or husband finding hidden empties (that I don’t remember), or people dropping in unannounced, or people asking questions about my weekend and having to lie because “I was blacked out / hungover” isn’t an appropriate response. I can just be.

12 Likes

Hi im in recovery now 16 months and its been an amazing journey so far. The best thing about my recovery to date is that i have been able to see my family begin to recover and find peace, stability and begin to live.
In the depths of my addiction I genuinely thought that i was the only one suffering from this disease. How wrong I was, in coming to understand myself through recovery and the 12 steps of AA i have also discovered that the ripples of my addiction were far reaching and just like that today i can see the waves of my recovery as they reach my family.

The best thing about my recovery today is that i realize that having had a family disease i now have a family at ease :heart:

11 Likes

This is new for me but more recently its been the amount of mocktails and zero proof drinks being offered at restaurants, breweries, and places that I would normally be drinking and now tempted to drink. I’m just over 30 days and this journey has been much more doable with support and options along the way. That’s been the best thing for me recently because in the past it’s been far too easy for me to give in for silly reasons.

8 Likes