What's the most infuriating/ pointless task you've been asked to do at work?

I work in a supermarket, stocking shelves etc. Customers pick up items somewhere and leave them in a completely different section when they change their mind, like a face mask among sausages or a shampoo at pet food section. Returning these items back to their right places IS SUCH A NUISANCE AND WASTE OF THE STAFF’S TIME.

5 Likes

Man that drives me crazy too. I don’t work at a supermarket but I see it when I’m shopping and I think, at least you could return it at the cash, not on some random shelf, and then they wouldn’t have to be tidying the store looking for your random stuff; they could just return it directly.

What drives me crazy at work:
We have to enter customer information twice, once for our estimating system and once for our customer contact system (so it appears in our mobile phones). This isn’t the end of the world but I just end up thinking, there must be a way to centralize this so we only have to enter customer info in one place :expressionless:

1 Like

Being hired as a welder/fabricator then being put on shit like painting and sweeping the floor.
Busy work pisses me off. I should be doing prep and layout and welding.

1 Like

Sign and date a piece of paper to get myself a fucking plaster out of the first aid box!

5 Likes

Does this count?
As manager of the night shit at the restaurant, I was told by the Chef to hide in the ladies room. It’s a toilet room with a hand washing sink. And catch this waitress who the chef thought stole some American cheese.
Infuriating because she was my friend and I caught her stealing that dang cheese. Pointless because there was no place for me to hide.

4 Likes

Every month every department has to make an Excel chart about how many patients everyone had, how many surgeries, how many this and that. We compare those numbers to every month of last year to see how much % growth every department had.

We have to sit all together in a room, everyone is dead tired, nobody wants to be there…but we have to. We read those numbers out loud because our boss wants us to and because he believes that everybody can process those information better when we physically sit there and read the numbers out loud. Like in school when you had to read something in class.

It would be better to just send those charts via mail to everyone and if there are questions: just ask the manager of one of those departments.

5 Likes

OMG, that sounds like a colossal waste of time and talent indeed :grimacing:

1 Like

It is! Everyone hates those meetings :joy:

I see it as a bit of fun.

1 Like

one thing most people can relate to is complaining about our jobs.
it’s a good way to connect in my opinion.

1 Like

When I was selling newspaper I had to put them behind the doors and to try to fit them there. I hate it