What's the most infuriating/ pointless task you've been asked to do at work?

I get given tight deadlines, then get given tasks which have NOOO purpose… But very time consuming, but then still expected to meet the deadline.

What’s the most stupid/ pointless thing you’ve been asked to do?

6 Likes

This is a pretty negative topic. I’m not sure that focusing on negative things is going to help peoples sobriety.

1 Like

I ran my own business for over 35 years so i had a good boss lol

8 Likes

Justify my payroll Ia using. The numbers I am given or ridiculous. I am running on 2019 hours, with sales exponentially higher that is mitigating the higher expenses…

3 Likes

Probably redundancy

So my old job I had was a security manager where I managed about 30 posts and had to do check ins with each officer through the night, on a video call no big deal

If I had an alarm call or any callout for the sites I would just do the video call and give them the assignment, efficiency, doesn’t make sense to do it twice, well that was wrong I was supposed to select the site randomly and call it at anytime, which I was doing it wasn’t like every morning at 2 am this site got this call.

Second the Calls had to be documented in our activity log which was seen company wide everyone from the president of the company to the janitor could view the activity log and well it wasn’t difficult to search but I had to double log it into a spreadsheet, as well as a shift activity report to be sent out each morning, so 3 times the work for really nothing just to please a director who was never happy,

3 Likes

I am a nurse /PSW and we get people who want you to move their call bell an inch and their beds not made right lol

1 Like

A lot of years ago I was the manager of a small convenience store. The owner used to turn up every morning in his rolls Royce (he had 40 stores) and say Colin…you should get your haircut! I never did and Mr Bell inadvertently got mr into grunge and Nirvana. Thank you Mr Bell. :+1::grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks mum.

2 Likes

Working in the nonprofit/charitable world I had to do a lot of pointless tasks and activities for the sake of “solidarity” and “team building.” There is a way to do team building and strategic planning sessions well, and then other ways that are a complete waste of people’s time that cause more harm than good to morale. @Badger tack on the existing deadlines and it’s maddening.

4 Likes

The constant repetition of having to write the same thing word for word in 5 different places (they are all different books and diff documents that need the same info). That and having to join in on 3 hour team meetings via zoom. It wouldn’t be sooo bad if i didn’t have to listen to others bitch and complain about the most miniscule things that keep us wayyyy off topic from what the entire team mtg is supposed to be about. Most of these issues people have can be directed to the supervisor outside of team mtgs.

5 Likes

My introverted side loathes team building

6 Likes

I was once asked to go thru all the old junk paperwork… Things like old promotional mail, old user guides for things like toasters, 2 year warranties for TV sets bought in the 1990s etc…

I know the boss was quite micro-managey so I was SUPER careful with what I put into the “throw away” pile, it was literally useless trash. I went thru two full drawers of this stuff.

After all that she insisted on going thru every single piece herself, to confirm what I was chucking away.

2 Likes

I got another one too, so part of my old job was cleaning, some of the folks there insisted on changing the entire bin bag (like small, paper bin size bags) even if there was only the tiniest bit of rubbish in the bin… So once the whole buildings bins had been changed, they were just throwing away a bin liner full of other mostly empty bin liners. I always found that a bit odd.

3 Likes

I personally dislike team building exercises for a few reasons

1. You are my coworkers not my besties or my spouse, we don’t need to have a relationship outside of work, I shouldn’t have to be forced to bond with you

2. It’s unproductive, you hired me to perform a job or task with expectations of meeting a deadline or quota, now you have me doing a team exercise that doesn’t help me meet my obligations it in fact hinders it, I also get incentives for exceeding the expectations, your team building exercises prevent me from meeting that as well so now your affecting my paycheck

2 Likes

There are lots of other topics to explore :blush:

1 Like

I work in a supermarket, stocking shelves etc. Customers pick up items somewhere and leave them in a completely different section when they change their mind, like a face mask among sausages or a shampoo at pet food section. Returning these items back to their right places IS SUCH A NUISANCE AND WASTE OF THE STAFF’S TIME.

5 Likes

Man that drives me crazy too. I don’t work at a supermarket but I see it when I’m shopping and I think, at least you could return it at the cash, not on some random shelf, and then they wouldn’t have to be tidying the store looking for your random stuff; they could just return it directly.

What drives me crazy at work:
We have to enter customer information twice, once for our estimating system and once for our customer contact system (so it appears in our mobile phones). This isn’t the end of the world but I just end up thinking, there must be a way to centralize this so we only have to enter customer info in one place :expressionless:

1 Like

Being hired as a welder/fabricator then being put on shit like painting and sweeping the floor.
Busy work pisses me off. I should be doing prep and layout and welding.

1 Like

Sign and date a piece of paper to get myself a fucking plaster out of the first aid box!

5 Likes

Does this count?
As manager of the night shit at the restaurant, I was told by the Chef to hide in the ladies room. It’s a toilet room with a hand washing sink. And catch this waitress who the chef thought stole some American cheese.
Infuriating because she was my friend and I caught her stealing that dang cheese. Pointless because there was no place for me to hide.

4 Likes