What's Your Occupation?

Oh, and “nem ertem”… (which I think means “I don’t understand”).

1 Like

Obscenities are useful to know as well, Hungarians use them a lot :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I seem to recall that if someone swears at you, the easiest reply was “onyad”, or something like that !
I’m probably not spelling that correctly.
In Polish, it would be “kurva mat’” or something like that, I think.

Yeah, “anyád” means “your mother” - it’s without the verb explaining what should be done to her.

1 Like

I think this will be a great opportunity to provide you with a platform to view what alcohol really does to people. When you’re participating you can’t see it but when you’re watching others become intoxicated. Trust me you will stay away. This was my experience. Watching someone literally lose consciousness, in so many ways. It made me not want to be that way ever again. It also provided me with a literal and figurative pedestal, if you will. When you see someone get drunk and see the weight of themselves kind of fall all over the place. When you’re standing tall watching it - it brings a bit of sureness to your commitment to sobriety.

Congrats!!!

I’m a cybersecurity analyst. I do enjoy my work. At this point I’m not where I want to be in my career but I’m grateful to have made it this far. I’m eager for more and the possibilities are endless.

7 Likes

CNA work was the most fulfilling and satisfying job I had. I eventually ended up being the Director of Nutrition is the nursing home I was at. I quit last January because of the politics of the place, but man do I miss the old timers!!
You definitely should go back and get your recertification!! Do it!

8 Likes

Lately, I’ve been studying Japanese… now THAT is a challenge…
Those bloody Chinese characters are driving me nuts.

3 Likes

My high schooler is taking Japanese for the 2 nd year he loves it!!!

2 Likes

Teacher. I want to go back for my Master’s and go into social work or school counseling eventually. This is the worst year to be a teacher :joy:

9 Likes

Working with or playing with “old timers” is so much fun. I volunteered at an old run down nursing home and just played games with a lot of them. This 100 year old lady use to whoop me bad playing dominoes. She’d nap in between turns and still beat me. She was the sweetest thing.

7 Likes

I am an administrator in higher ed. Twenty two years. Also teach a technology class online as an adjunct.

5 Likes

Elected Town Clerk and commercial fiction author. After 15 or so books, I looked up from my computer to see my children had grown and the only “real” people I spoke with all day were the dog and cat. So, when the opportunity came up to run for Town Clerk, I took it. I love serving the 1,800 people in my town - recording their land deeds and surveys, trying to answer a myriad of questions, producing their marriage licenses and then their babies’ birth certificates and, as life goes, their parents’ death certificates. I also oversee the elections which, thankfully, I won’t have to deal with until Town Meeting in March. I still write. My latest book will be published next November by one of the big NYC publishers so it’s been kind of stressful juggling all this responsibility. Naturally, everything comes to a head at once! What a diverse group we have here.

17 Likes

I miss playing cribbage with the men! They were so competitive and didn’t like it when a “lady” beat them!! I think I may look into volunteering for people who live at home and are lonely, just for companionship. Definitely a satisfying job!

1 Like

Oh I really like it too !
I’m only sorry that I didn’t start on it (seriously) much earlier. It’s difficult, yes, but quite fascinating and interesting. The Chinese characters are tough to remember, but it’s very rewarding when you can look at a sentence and realise “Hey ! I understand what that says !!”
And Japan is a very cool place to visit. If you like, I can recommend a couple of really good internet resources…

1 Like

I spent almost my entire working career in restaurants and bars, minus 9 years in the hair industry.
Being a sober bartender is fun, and challenging. Challenging because it is really hard to explain a drink, or come up with a new drink when you can’t taste it.
Also challenging because customers will offer to buy you drinks. I clearly decline nowadays, but it was a very slippery slope for many years.

I recently quit working in the service industry (September 1st) because Covid killed it and made it something unrecognizable.
Now I am a professional dog walker/ trainer/ house sitter.

12 Likes

I’m a psychiatric RN… I’ve worked in psych for 12 years and before that i worked in cardiology for a couple years… I love being a nurse and being able to help people :blush:

14 Likes

God Bless you. :pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

I’ve just graduated and gained a Bachelor of Education :woman_student: I’ve been offered a teaching job next year that I’ve accepted and I’m so excited! I love working in the field of education, I find such purpose there :woman_teacher:t4::star2:

12 Likes

I’m a pharmacy technician and currently do data entry but have been a fill tech and an IV compounding technician. Been doing it for almost 10 yrs

9 Likes

I quit my job back in January, before the lockdowns started (thankfully) and in the past 9 months have started a business that I opened at the beginning of this month. I need to keep sober to keep on top of my orders and I’m honestly loving it. I work from home, in-between distance learning with my kiddos and taking care of 2 puppies. I couldn’t be happier with quitting my job!

6 Likes