When the cravings hit, what do you do to occupy yourself?

Today is day 20 for me, and most of the time I dont have a problem. From what ive seen, im having a pretty easy go of it for 5 years of daily drunkenness. and im really thankful for that. But every so often i feel like im on the very edge of caving for no good reason. Today is an off day from work and im at home with nothing to really do, and the urge is strong.

What do yall do to stay occupied when the cravings hit? Hobbies, housework, read, just go out to stay busy? I keep trying to play video games and i just keep thinking how much more enjoyable it could be.

7 Likes

For me its walking but if its night time i try and watch something to do with addiction on you tube to remind myself how low i could get again or a podcast

3 Likes

I go on the womans international meeting (AA) its on 24/7 and really handy, or i listen to podcasts and do housework. Talking with someone also helps, it takes away the cravings power and gives you some perspective.
These are the best as they’re something i can do immediately, unlike going to the gym or whatever, which is also good but takes a little planning.

5 Likes

I would really try to find another activity outside of the house and with other people. Isolation is disastrous for us. Also local AA or another sobriety community.

3 Likes

I tried to add this earlier but it wouldnt let me…
Posting for anyone who is or who identifies as a women. Its really helpful. 24/7 support​:pray::purple_heart:

4 Likes

Praying works well for me. The trick is not to stop.

2 Likes

I legit yell at myself to stop being a fool. Then I imagine waking up the next morning feeling like crap physically and mentally. I imagine all those days I slayed dishonored by 1 bad choice. I imagine coming back here and typing a post about my slip. I go back to day 1 and remember all the reasons I gave up drinking then ask myself if any of those goals have changed. None of them have, so I yell at myself some more to never question the decision. Then I carry on with my day, and 5 minutes later I feel like a boss. I sink into that feeling and let it fuel me because it feels good to be a BOSS.

4 Likes

I remember All the reasons Recovery is the most important part of my life.

1 Like

I am learning that when I crave it. I try to find something to do I have taken up painting and I spend one on one time with my dog Alyiza… seems to be helping so far but I’m also very new to recovery

3 Likes

I read my long list of why I no longer drink. It reminds me of the shithole I dug for myself and lived in. I don’t ever want to feel that way again.

Also…read here, journal, bath, walk, yoga, meditate, bike ride, knit, bake, dance party, sleep.

3 Likes

Hi i just tried to get on there and it said incorrect id, i will try again later

Hmm weird…ive just checked and thats definitely the code. The password is case sensitive incase its that

1 Like

Just got onto it earlier, probably something i done, thank you

1 Like

This is all just stuff, at the end of the day. Thats what this realm is filled with. And thats it. Money, cars, houses businesses, etc stuff… booze is just a thing too, it’s also low vibrational. Its my belief we have to learn that its all just stuff first. Things. But some are low vibrational and others are higher :point_up_2:

So if your connection to video games (low vibrational) is to want to do another low vibrational activity to enhance its enjoyability, you can see that, while this energy feeds off each other or vibe together, its keeping you in a low vibration.

I look for things to do that raise my vibration.
I would focus on what raises your vibration. Its different for everybody.

Definitely get out of the house if its a trigger. Offer to walk someones dog. Help an old lady with her groceries. Scoop your neighbors sidewalk. Take an early present to a friend. Go to the art store, get inspired. Anything, but dont stoop down to alcohols level, your above that.

3 Likes

Hey, I understand the feeling boredom and your thoughts will only go to substances. I would recommend walks, exercise, mediation, yoga, jogging. When you think to do these also, don’t take your wallet or cash out so you have no options to buy anything. This really helps me and drifts the mind from having negative thoughts. Step by step. All the best my guy!

1 Like