When we fall we fall hard

A few months back I let my depression overwhelm me which led me to relapse. It started off slow, for a while I had it under control. I knew I was on a slippery slope and it would only be a matter of time before I lost what grip I had.
It was two weeks or so ago and I had been out to a local bar to see a friend of mines band play. I drank way more than I should have. Enough to think that it was a good idea to ride my motorcycle home with a head full of booze. I was doing fine untill another driver ran through the ass end of his red light. Had I not been drunk I’m sure I would have been able to stop. Bit I was drunk and I could not stop. I had no other choice but to lay the bike down and me with it. I avoided the the car (who didnt even stop) but slamed the side of my favorite head against the street. I came through alright. I got up did my best to wipe the blood from my eyes hopped back on the bike and made my way home.
I patcged myself up and went to bed. Something you should never do with a concousion.
The next morning as I looked at what I had done to myself I promised that I would get my shir together. It took another week or so but I made the choice to stop and havent looked back. I had done it before I will do it again.
Today as I look in the mirror the scars from that night serve as a reminder of how in the blink of an eye you can loose everyrhing. And as cliche as it is that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

6 Likes

You are right about that.

I am glad to hear that you are back on the path you clearly want to be on, and that you made it out of that accident with your life and no charges. Thank you for your vulnerability in sharing your story. I wish you strength and perseverance. As for mental health, remember that there are support systems you can tap into for help, I hope you do. Counselling really helps to address depression and its root causes. I myself am in counselling, both one-on-one as well as an addictions group. The group is for education about how addiction(s) works, and the health factors around addiction(s). The one-on-one is for my overall mental health.

You are correct mental health is paramount for recovery to work. I have increased the ammount of sessions I attend and I’m also looking into adjusting my meds or perhaps adding something in addition to what I’m currently prescribed. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

1 Like