When your not as into your phone as everyone else

I’ve found it hard to interact with most people because I can’t get into the new thing of being on your phone and being able to socialize with each other at the same time it might be because I’m over 40 or dislecic but I just feel like an outsider and I drank more any ideas how I could adapt and join in

I would try a meeting. They usually keep the phones away during meetings. Just a group of drunks having coffee and talking about how great life is now that they are sober.

2 Likes

I find it rude if someone is on their phone most of the time if we are doing something that is supposed to be a social event. If I’m interacting with someone on their phone I’ll bring it up and if it persists and their phone is their priority, I don’t make socializing with them a priority.

2 Likes

In my young days no mobiles it was great eye to eye conversations, happy days

1 Like

I would find that irritating. If it’s one-on-one, I think it’s totally reasonable to talk to the other person about how it makes you feel uncomfortable or excluded when they’re paying attention to their phone instead of the conversation. If it’s a group of people that just idly chat here and there while doing their own thing on their phones, maybe you could suggest or arrange some activity that makes this inconvenient. Like going for a walk or to a park somewhere, playing a board game, or sitting around a table instead of on couches where the face-to-face distance changes the atmosphere. Or even something like a video game, where you are at least all focusing on a common experience while you’re having your conversation.

1 Like

What @ifs said about doing interactive things like walking or a board game is a great thing to do. Also having a meal together is a nice way to have a conversation and tell them you prefer they don’t use their phone.

1 Like

The way people are with their phones nowadays seems so sad when we can remember a time before them. Those were certainly simpler times.i remember getting the world,s first colour screen phone on my 22nd birthday :thinking::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I feel you.

But please do note that in those days fora like these weren’t as a life as they are now that is an upside.

:slight_smile:

I much preferred the time before all this mobile phone madness. People don’t even look up from their phones when they cross the street :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like