Where are my fitness folks?

I’ve been a runner for about 6-7 years now and it’s a huge part of my life. It’s something I do when I need to clear my head, manage stress and feel in control. I’m super focused on wellness and my inability to get sober has made me feel an immense amount of guilt. I mean I do everything else right. I eat clean, I workout daily, i food prep on weekends and take my vitamins. But then when the urge hits, I drink….I drink too much and then I’m filled with regret. Today is day two (again) and I want to be done with this cycle and stop feeling shame. Can anyone relate?

18 Likes

I am the absolute same in fact I could have written your message :raising_hand_woman: . We can do this!

5 Likes

Yes we can!

3 Likes

I can relate. I would do all the right things then wash down my healthy salad with a bottle of wine. Then I found Talking Sober. Between this app, true focus on health, and distracting myself with healthy activities when the urge would hit I have managed to stay sober 20 months. There are several active fitness threads on this site. Search for “fitness” and “exercise” and you will find them.

7 Likes

Thank you so much! I will start searching. I’m so glad to have found this app and so many people that are on the same journey.

2 Likes

Oh my yes, it was quite eye opening hitting my fitness classes NOT dehydrated or hungover! And runs as well. Who knew you could feel so good working out? Obviously not me! Welcome!!!

5 Likes

I use to reward myself for a workout with a beer (when I was trying to moderate and watch calories)or some shots (when I didn’t care about calories). Personally I have found workouts and runs to be 100% better without drinking. No hangover and I’m not trying to work off all those extra calories.

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on day 2. Keep it up :blush:

5 Likes

There is a commercial out right now with a woman finishing a run and her friend handing her a light beer. I think SO is sick of my commentary EVERY.SINGLE.TIME it comes on. :rofl:

1 Like

I love this. I feel the same. Instead of rewarding myself with a beer I’d like to find something better to reward myself with. So far it’s reward enough to wake up early and feel ready to workout with extra energy

1 Like

Having a beer after a run has been glamorized. It makes me feel like I’m missing out if I don’t join the fun. Need to find a good replacement.

2 Likes

At the end of my half they had a beer station :woman_facepalming:t2: I remember my first 5k handed out a beer too.
It is so ingrained into everything!
@Laurielee I see you said about the same thing in your last comment. I honestly didn’t feel like I was missing anything my last race. I just wanted food and lots of it :joy:

1 Like

I absolutely love your thread and how you explained yourself. Obviously lots of people identified with you including myself.

I call what you suffer from is “I don’t live down by the river in a tent syndrome.” I suffer from the same thing. It’s called being a functional alcoholic. You’re in great shape, career is probably in shape and family in shape too. How on earth could I have a major drinking problem if I just busted out 10 miles?

I’m a functional alcoholic too. Personally I think it’s the worst type because we never really hit rock bottom and we mask alcoholism with our drunk accomplishments.

I’m the same when I comes to exercise except I love going to the gym I just never got the results I wanted prior to sobriety because I was always hungover. Plus there is a residual effect from drinking.

Take Saturday mornings. When I was drinking I’d meet friends for drinks Friday afternoon and eat crappy bar food. Then go home and power down a bottle or two of wine. Sleep in Saturday and eventually go to breakfast. Skipping my workout completely.

Now I’m home after work on Friday. Go to bed fairly early. Hit the gym at 8am for weights. Then at 9:15 spin class starts for an hour. I don’t even eat until around noon. That is where you make the gains. Not just the loss of booze calories but the residual effects mount up.

3 Likes

Great response!! I hear it all and relate for sure.

Idk if it’s the worst type, but it certainly keeps us doing what we are doing because we still get things done, despite the drinking and drugs.

2 Likes

I can definitely relate! I was doing triathlons, but the more and more I drank the more my diet slipped and energy/motivation has diminished.

2 Likes

I hear you. I’m glad to be on this journey of sobriety and can’t wait to see how my fitness goals are met because of it. I mean here I am, sitting at a bar in a different state a few days away from my next half marathon, just ordered a soup and salad and mocktail. Look at me go!

I am new to this community but i have been on the fitness journey for 10 years on and off. I focus on building muscle eating healthy enjoying fun exercise outdoors, hockey and on the weekends i partied hard it even became 1 - 2 times during the week. I have been trying hard to go a week without or a month for a year now with little success realizing how much it has become a problem for me. A barrier to acheiving my goals. Here is to fitness and healthy clean living once again ! We can do it :muscle: 4 days sober for me !

2 Likes

Okey i get you

4 days sober. That is awesome!

Welcome!! We have a few fitness threads around and plenty of other fitness fanatics. Congratulations on 4 days sober!! Fitness goals are so much easier to reach without alcohol.

1 Like

Great thank you. I find the past couple of days i have been reading stories and comments. It really does help to stay focused. I am more ready to quit now than ever! Usually around 3- 5 days i have a hard time, start doubting if i need to quit or want to quit, searching for an excuse to have drinks and party. I dont want any excuses. I want sobriety.

2 Likes