Who are your inspirational heroes for sobriety

My father. He beat addiction about 10 years ago and now he’s battling cancer and I’m praying he defeats it also!

5 Likes

Everyone on here are my hero’s and idols. I am inspired by you that have more sober days than me, even if it’s 1. I’m motivated by people who relapse to remember this is far from over and everyday I must keep my guard up. Im impressed with the strength of so many people that have a desire to be better people and I want to be surrounded by you all. I’m in awe of you for putting up with the mental torture to achieve greatness. if anyone else treated us like we treat ourselves it would be classed as abuse but you lot relish in the glory of it everyday, foregoing the things in life that once gave you pleasure, now to sit in silence with a longing but at the same time loaving of that substance or act. Yes you are my hero’s.

9 Likes

Jim, this has been one of my inspirations. This time last year I read a few special forces autobiographies. Read the sorts of things they had to do. The " no matter what" attitude.
Reading Ant Middleton at the moment. And it’s just what I need to read at the moment.

2 Likes

Indeed everybody here. I’m with @Dolse71 .We do it together. You all are my inspiration. Without you all I’d be nowhere. And I’m also with @SoberWalker . All the bad examples, all the folks that killed themselves through booze and drugs. Musicians being prime examples yes. What would Jimmy Hendrix be doing now if he was still alive?

5 Likes

he would be on here posting better songs than me :joy: :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

Loads of contributors on TS, some of my rehab sisters and my AA buddies here at home. Elizabeth Vargas and Mary Carr.

5 Likes

Mom. And actually Me!
I’m doing quite okay and I’m finally able to say this without doubt. I am doing Allright.
Self care needs work though so that’s my focus to add to my journey of sobriety. :muscle:t2:

I like to second all who say we are inspiration but I’d like to add motivation. For me it is like this.
Milestones inspire, relapses motivate.
We need both to get by. I guess

2 Likes

John Hoy, April 16 1956 - October 16 2017. John got sober 9 months before I did. He was a homeless crack smoking alcoholic who made it all the way back. In sobriety, he had strained relations with his kids, his ex-wife constantly undermined his confidence, he worked for crappy wages, had learning disabilities and trouble reading, and never really progressed beyond a junior high school outlook on romance and intimate relations. He was my best friend in sobriety, and a pain in the ass at times. He suffered and died from a progressive neurological disease and from cancer that riddled his body.

In sobriety and in his illness, he repaired his relations with his sons and established healthy boundaries with his ex-wife. His older son delivered his eulogy. In it, he recognized his dad’s alcoholism and the havoc it wreaked on his family. He recognized that John had done his best at the time to be a good dad as far as he was capable. He recognized that John’s career, throughout his multiple jobs, had been one of service to others in need.

John was another demonstration to me of an AA member who dealt with disappointment, with financial worries, and with physical deterioration by walking head up with dignity and acceptance. He was a demonstration of a flawed human who cleaves hard to his primary purpose - to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

John always admonished me, at the close of a phone call or upon parting after some time together to “Stay sober!”. So far, so good John. I’m still carrying your one year medallion in my pocket. See you on the other side someday.

9 Likes

Omg that gave me chills

1 Like

Inspired by my son and daughter who are both in recovery and doing so well I don’t even remember the amount of time.
:heart::pray:

4 Likes