Who are your inspirational heroes for sobriety

I often find myself scrolling through goalcast videos and reading blogs online and for me communication and knowing your not alone has always been something I admire.

So out of curiosity what inspires you? is there a figure/person or something that motivates and inspires.

For me, looking towards people like Robert Downey Jr inspire me and show what can be accomplished with work, thoughtfulness and a strong support system.

I can relate to him in many a sense.

10 Likes

My heros and inspirations are my grandmother( who is my best friend) and my mother in law. Amazing women

7 Likes

Corey Taylor from Slipknot, Ken Casey from Dropkick Murphys, David Bowie, Trent Reznor, Brian Head Welch, Brad Pitt, Elton John, Bradley Cooper, Rob Lowe, Robert Downey Junior, Slash, Alice Cooper.

8 Likes

My big brother! He struggles with the same thing I do but has been to much darker places in this addiction than I have. And yet he keeps fighting for freedom! And he was the one to invite me to the first group I’ve ever gone to :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I’m inspired by my children and partner. I want to be more present, kind, and loving. I want to enjoy the magic of my children while they are small. I want to feel peace and patience. I’m not sure about heroes but I strive to be better for my children.

6 Likes

My friends from here regularly inspire me. I am truly so proud of them.

I am also my own hero. That could possibly come off as self-absorbed — but early on I realized that you can have all the support in the world, but ultimately you must be your own biggest champion.

10 Likes

I’m with @TMAC. Without you all I couldn’t do this, and without myself I CERTAINLY couldn’t do this. I’m a very firm believer in being the hero of your own story.

10 Likes

Maybe not the inspiration you were looking for, but I’m inspired by Amy Winehouse

She is a warning for me what is going to happen if I decide to drink (and I really admire her because of her songs). Another inspiration in that matter is my uncle, he also died because of alcoholism.
13 Likes

@Kiki Yep. I hear you on that…my kids are my motivation too!

5 Likes

im really inspired by a couple guys i know in aa. seen them come in feeling like garbage and having a terrible outlook, and nowadays they frequently smile and have a glow about them. it really encourages me to do what theyre doing as im lucky enough to see the change firsthand :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@Englishd is my inspiration.

9 Likes

Zakk Wylde, James Hetfield, Corey Taylor…and my grandpa, who quit drinking when I was born, so he could be a good grandfather. He passed in 2012, with 31 years of sobriety under his belt.

10 Likes

@Yoda-Stevie inspires me. Man, he’s got all the inspirational/motivational words!!! I love reading his thoughts on any topic.

As for celebrities??? I’m inspired by all the ones that openly talk about their struggles to help remove the stigma. I’m probably MOST inspired by Kristen Johnston. I LOVED her book Guts.

9 Likes

First my mother :purple_heart: and ALL of the people in my path that do not have these struggles but are able to somehow, someway love other’s without knowing and sometimes without even being able to understand it at all, but rather only TRUSTING that people with addiction do have serious life threatening issues… Hats off to those that do BELIEVE that we are out there making an honest effort to do better, while fighting for our lives… Those people are my hero’s… I pass no judgement anymore to those who can’t, only hope somehow, someway that one day they will understand that LOVE is the answer… :revolving_hearts:

Next… Whitney Houston… :sparkling_heart: I don’t think I ever saw somebody try that hard… :cry: Although she didn’t make it… I share a part of her vision… I BELIEVE that children are our future… :100: We should STILL teach them well and LET them lead the way… :100: I feel our struggles and how we overcome them might someday give them the skills that they might need later… But I don’t feel that loving YOURSELF is what gets you through addiction… I do love myself… But for that I will be teaching MY children to love OTHER’S… To me that is the GREATEST love of all and how to beat addictions ugly ass… :blush:

I love this post!!! :blush:

@SassyRocks THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REACHING OUT AND FOR HELPING ME IN MY TIME OF NEED… You’re a Warrior :facepunch:!!! :green_heart:

4 Likes

My kids. My uncle. An old timer who visited my HG in AA. Me

4 Likes

Always happy to help if I can!! :heart:

3 Likes

My late sponsor not a celeb but i giant of a man to me even though he was only 5ft 2 "got to his 42nd AA birthday god bless him

5 Likes

@Here.I.am they are good motivation. Also the early mornings and night wake ups that come with them. How much time do you have under your belt? I’m on day 11 today:)

1 Like

That’s a great list.

1 Like

Thank you. You are too kind.

2 Likes