Who believes it's genetic?

.Hey,
So I was watching a bunch of different videos by various ‘experts and professionals’ on addiction . One theory really got me thinking. This Psychiatrist who runs an addiction centre believes addiction is genetic. I always had my doubts until seeing this.
Not that it really makes a difference when it comes to getting sober anyway but I’m just curious. Who thinks it’s genetic.??
The way this guy described things , I could really relate to. He essentially believes that you can have a genetic predisposition to drinking ( for example) but unless you try alcohol, you are at not threat of becoming an addict ( That’s good news for future generations).

6 Likes

Got a identical twin 10 min difference hes hasnt got a prob?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s genetic, or in more precise meaning - I don’t think it’s 100% given to get addicted, even if someone is more prone to becoming an addict.
I would compare it to someone, who is in so called risk group of developing a schizophrenia.
You may be in the heighten risk of developing that, but it’s not a given, that You’ll develop it.

2 Likes

Latest research states that it is part nature, part nurture. Yes there is a gene linked to addiction but it is not fully understood yet. It also has the gene expression aspect.

Both my siblings heavy smokers yet I never smoked, I tried just to fit in. But no. On the other hand all alcoholics. Parents social drinkers back in the day.

What is known for sure is that; alcohol use disorder is progressive and changes the wiring in the brain irreversibly. The biggest reason controlled drinking never works and we could never enjoy a drink like a person who is not predispositioned to addiction.

So it goes.

8 Likes

Learned during my masters that it can’t be correlated to genetics but rather had a large effect on culture and personal experience.

Basically this, if you have an alcoholic father(or mother), you are more likely to become an alcoholic. Some would say, that’s prof enough but it’s not. It’s mostly because you have more chances to become an alcoholic. If beer is laying around the house, you just might pick one up, as opposed to a family who doesn’t drink, well there’s no chance to pick one up casually if there isn’t any around.

Secondly, if you learn to drink during parties because your parents do, you mimic behaviors.

So it’s not really genetic but rather more exposure.

3 Likes

I read published PhD thesis and such by reputable sources, research done by reliable institutions, not random articles.

The internet can be misleading with all kinds of well written articles grammatically , but that doesn’t mean that they are based on dependable research.

Respectfully, pharmaceutical industry is my background to put it in a nutshell. I just want to share the information I think might be helpful.

All the best!

3 Likes

There comes the gene expression. You might have the gene but not become an addict. It is not black and white. Trust me, some nights I fall asleep reading about this with red eyes. It is scientifically proven that genetics play a role. How, how much?

I am still reading.

5 Likes

A good place to start reading. I am aware of the fact that it is from 2006. Imagine what kind of information we have today.

All the best!

2 Likes

Yeah, what your saying makes a whole lotta sense. My sister is a year older than me. No problems at all. Rarely drinks. Yet here I am, a big ol drunk!!
Our dad who was the alcoholic wasn’t around much. Parents divorced while we were 8 and 9 so we weren’t around his drinking all the time. just when we were younger, and not often. nothing past h.s. years.

1 Like

Genetics playing a role is only assumed.

How can genetics play a role is determined on how you are raised to the side effects.

People affected to have quicker responses to alcohol fall either way.

You either feel like you are drinking too much and the hazy feeling is a warning to stop or, you feel like you’re having fun cause of the dizzy nature.

While genes can make you feel more of the effects quicker, it’s ultimately up to the person on how to perceive them.

Let’s be honest. We all have a problem because We love being drunk. It’s the best feeling in the world, but put yourself into another addiction you don’t have and it seems unreasonable, it’s due to conditioning.

I’m not addicted to smoking, but I’m sure those that smoke love the taste or buzz they get from it. I see it as bad, they don’t.

I don’t eat donuts even tho they are great, because I see it as unhealthy and bad. I don’t see drinking as bad, I see it as fun, that’s my problem. I know it’s bad, but I don’t feel it is, I’m trying to convince myself I’m better without it.

Addiction to medication is what I do for a living. Masters in psychology and regional manager of a mental health program.

Sounds like we have much to share and talk about it. Just simple facts.

3 Likes

I find this offensive.

Not being argumentative, the topic of this thread was if people believe it’s genetics. While I believe genetics can bring some closer to alcoholism, I do not believe it’s a defining factor.

More likely, we romantize it.

If someone gets drunk and sets their car on fire and gambles away thousands in hand and sleeps with a stranger, it’s a wild fun night that’s worthy of a movie.

If you did the same exact thing but under the Influence of crack, then you got a problem.

That is why most of us backtrack. We are like, we can do this thing right. We can be normal like everyone else, cause drinking is considered normal.

You never hear of a normal crack user.

Alcoholism is affected by our culture acceptance and own choices rather than pure genetics in my opinion.

Good read btw

1 Like

Never said pure genetics. An alcoholic is no different in my opinion than any other addiction. There are factors that it makes it difficult, such as being legal like smokes. My opinion on the addiction subject is to regulate every substance, so people know what they are taking and and in what purity. If MDMA was legal and produced properly my brother would be alive today and I wouldn’t be struggling stop drinking to forget about his absence.

Not being argumentative, just have a sore spot for the rest of my life. I can’t check out either because I don’t have the right to be selfish. Too many in such a short time decided to turn off the lights. I am still here, trying to help myself and others perhaps.

Knowledge is power. Peace!

4 Likes

It’s definitely in my family…predisposed makes sense

1 Like

I believe in the word…:neutral_face: The word says yes if you ask me :100: but we are all our own spirit with a choice to make… But I am also one to lean WAY to far on my own understanding…:flushed: So I gotta go by science as well and from what I’ve read by sources that I personally trust left me feeling that yes it can be… Culture also has much to do with it as well with becoming an addict and how we recover from addiction… Just what I think y’all… But I’m still learning much… :blush: interesting thread… :100:

1 Like

I wholeheartedly believe it’s hereditary because both my parents side’s have numerous addicts. I just pray my children don’t in their adult lives because my husband and I are recovering alchoholics, him 30 years in recovery me 6 months.

1 Like

Interesting

I wasn’t reading a random article. It was a video of a Psychiatrist who runs an addiction centre

1 Like

I don’t believe it’s gernectic I believe it’s to do with your up bringing more than anything,and circumstances of life events and how you manage them

2 Likes