Who I am and how I got here

I’ll start by introducing myself, my name is Anna and I’m 20 years old. I won’t droan on about my past too much but I’ll do my best to keep it short and still relevant to this post. My mom was an addict herself and my grandma was a very angry alcoholic so all my life I promised I wouldn’t do drugs or drink. I started getting older and I started suffering from depression and anxiety, I started smoking weed and decided that was okay and then I started dabbling in pills. By the time I turned 18 I had a friendgroup and on the weekends we would get together and party until it stopped being the weekends and for me and one other friend it was everyday. I stopped for awhile because everyone was telling me I had a problem but I didn’t stop drinking for long. I picked it back up and I still partied with them but a lot less, I started drinking by myself but just here and there bc it wasn’t fun. By the time I hit the age of 20 I suddenly realized that I was sitting at home drinking alone almost every single night, waking up hungover every morning but just ignoring it so I could get to work. I guess the other night I just snapped and I broke down sobbing bc the fact that I need help finally slapped me in the face and I couldn’t ignore it anymore. So here I am today, my first day of recovery and despite the fact that I feel so sad that I even wound up like this I’m still trying to stay hopeful and to not let these feelings consume me. Thank you for reading this and learning about my story. <3

10 Likes

Congrats on starting your journey, the first step is by far the hardest, now it’s just about putting one foot in front of the other, one day at a time. It’s never easy to ask for help but you have found a great community here with tons of people who are willing and able to listen and share their experiences. You are stronger than you know, you can do this!

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I read through a few posts to get the feel for this community and it felt like it would be good for me to join :heart:

1 Like

Hi Anna, welcome here!
Glad you found us. This app has helped me a lot with getting sober. The first few months are difficult, at least it was for me. But if you focus on one day at a time it’s doable.
Little steps will add up in big ones!
Quiting with my addiction was like a broke up.
So it brouhgt me pain, anger, sadness and all that kind of stuff. But because it was a bad relationship as well it brought me freedom at the end!
I wish you the same!! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Welcome, Anna! You are making a great decision to remove alcohol from your life. I love the freedom that comes with sobriety, and the community.

1 Like

You’re making a wise decision that takes a lot of us a lot longer to come to. Props.

1 Like

Welcome :purple_heart: Thanks for sharing your story. I am glad to share your journey.

1 Like

Welcome! Congratulations on ur 1st day of sobriety! Thank u for being so courageous and sharing abit of ur story. This forum is an amazing place! Sooo many amazing people and alot of suggestions and support here to help!

2 Likes