Who was I. Is that me?

I drank so much last night that I lost all concept of reality.
I said hurtful things to my partner.

Now, I am just in disbelief that person was me.
He doesn’t deserve to have had his feelings hurt by the vile person I was last night.
I’m scared as I never want that to happen again.

4 Likes

I’m sorry you went through that Jess. It’s such a powerful feeling of shame and regret.

It’s a good reason to make a change. The good news is that never has to happen again.

Many of us here have been in your shoes, having hurt our partners. We’ve all had to make a change & learn to live life sober without running to the numbness and escape of our addictions. You can learn that too.

Have you considered joining a recovery group? It is a great way to learn to walk a recovery path & maintain your recovery - from people who’ve been there before:
Online meeting resources

Take care Jess and remember: you’re a good person who deserves a safe, sober life where you can be your full self.

6 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober, Jess. Let’s see if you can transform your motivation into action. To expand on the other responses, here is a thread chock full of effective methods to stop drinking, stay sober and promote a sober lifestyle.

Blessings on your house as you begin your journey. :pray:

5 Likes

The good news is, it absolutely doesn’t ever have to happen again.

Say no to the first drink and there is no 2nd, 3rd or 24th. You don’t have to drink.

5 Likes

Hi Matt thank you so much for your kind words.

I will join a group. Thank you for sharing

3 Likes

Good luck Jess. You will find what you need if you search and search and don’t stop walking forward one step at a time. Take care :innocent:

1 Like

Many of us on here have had that same experience, I know I have. The guilt and shame and self-hate can be powerful. Put them down, they won’t help you change. You got good advice here about finding a group or the resource page. I used a program called Annie Grace’s 30 day experiment, there are daily videos and homework, and it taught me a lot about what alcohol really is and how it really affects us. It helped me see alcohol, and myself in a new way.

3 Likes