Why am I gaining weight being sober!?

Ok, so I have found aiding your addiction recoveru temporarily with sweets is a common occurrence. So how come I have cut out approx 1300 calories of alcohol for less in equivalence to sweets I am consuming and gaining weight?! I thought my nody would be loving the 1000calorie version of me! Does it get better?

1 Like

Hi there!
I’m dealing with the same thing. I think I’ve traded one addiction for another. Eight months sober but I’I’ve gained so much weight! I felt so good being alcohol free, but now I’m getting that *I hate myself * mindset from all the overeating. Constantly needing something/food in my mouth. I’m feeling so unhealthy. Any help appreciated!

Hehe it’s so common! Be careful you don’t put your body in starvation mode, it’s a real thing.

I thought the same. I ate a little bit more sweets, but not nearly enough to equal the 2400 calories if alcohol a night i was drinking.
Ive always exercised reguarly, at least 3 times a week if not 5. Cycling. Im not a big gym guy.
This past weekend i finally noticed a drop of a few pounds.
I figured it was my body reacting somehow to the lack of alcohol since i could ususally drop weight when i was drinking by starving myself.

1 Like

Your metabolism has slowed in reaction to the decreased calorie intake. That’s why “crash diets” only work so well for so long. A couple ways to increase your metabolic rate:

1. Work out - exercise of course increases your metabolism while you’re doing it. Also, muscle metabolizes calories faster, so the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolic rate.
  2. Increase your meal frequency - eat a small meal every 2-3 hours. Your body requires a metabolic increase to digest food, so essentially you’re “stoking the furnace.” If you keep your caloric intake the same, but eat more often, you’ll lose weight.
  3. Cheat - about once a week, have a cheat meal to kick start your metabolism again. Take note, this is a cheat meal, not a cheat day.
2 Likes

How long has it been?? Your liver is an important organ in metabolism. Give it some time to heal and start working properly again.

Also, alcohol is dehydrating. You might just be adding water back into your body again.

2 Likes

What you said. :blush: