Why are all organizations religion based

Unsure of what to tag this in but I just wanted to start the conversation. Of course I’m sure a lot if not all homeless shelters , rehabs, meetings etc that are based in religion are so because of the donations from churches making things possible. But I wonder if it deters many addicts from getting help who aren’t religious. Many people even don’t like religion. I am hoping to apply to work at a rescue mission (homeless shelter) but one of the requirements is that I “must support the organizations statement of faith”. I’m not religious, I’m more spiritual , but want to help people, and I know I can. This is a meaningful job that I’m interested in but the religion aspect means I might not get it , which I think is pretty dumb because I know I can help people.

5 Likes

Religion poisons everything. Read Christopher Hitchens and Professor Richard Dawkins.
Each to their own though. If you want to believe in an imaginary super power then that’s ok.
But if you are ‘faithless’ then you’re not alone.

3 Likes

Fr I’d never even incorporate my own personal beliefs into something so vulnerable . And any way people can get sober I’m all for , but it’s almost like people push this idea that you can’t do it without “god”, when in reality WE are the ones who are strong and get ourselves through things. It may be because we believed in something but either way it’s like people give themselves no credit also when they are saved by religion. These are just my random thoughts tho not trying to trigger anybody

2 Likes

There is non religious based groups out there, a few here subscribe to them.

The big ones are AA and NA everyone even non addicts know what they are. It’s been instilled in our society

Most shelters, rescue missions, things like that are funded based on charitable contributions which makes them non profit. Easier for a church to get a non profit stamp than it is a bunch of recovering addicts who want to help

Also goes back to the painting of appearance, if a church is asking for money to help fund a shelter, or rehab facility it appears in a light where people will give give give,

It’s all about impressions, a friend of mine who’s a lawyer told me once, what the prosecutor and the defense team want is the best first impression. Most people will see and pass judgement on first impressions. If someone is being charged with a crime and they come to court wearing prison oranges and shackles, the first impression is he did it. And it’s hard to break that

4 Likes

True. And very interesting I’ll remember that for if I ever end up in court lol

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the history of these missions/shelters etc that you’re referring to but it’s true that many charities have a Christian origin. Not just in English speaking countries but world wide. It goes deeper than getting a non profit permission or church donations. Reaching out to hurting people and taking care of people close by is a fundamental message in the Bible. I know ppl here might have a totally different experience within church settings, for which I’m sorry. I’m not here argue that. Like I said, many charities are Christian based because they probably were started by Christians back in the day. In the world history, there seems to be this trend that Christian communities start a social programme and secular organisations get on board later. There are exceptions, of course.

6 Likes

True I guess I just wish more unreligious people did philanthropic things but I can see why it’s easier for churches to muster up funding for things like that. I’m glad someone somewhere is doing something but I just hope they’ll still employ me as I’ve been looking for a job with real meaning and I know I could help . I live in a small town so there’s barely any options like 99% of the places are religious .

3 Likes

I hear you. Good luck. Even if you don’t share views on God, you all have the desire to help :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Thank you sm :slight_smile: even if they deny me I’ll still find a way to do something .

1 Like

They do. That doesn’t mean they don’t partner with religious organizations to focus on the work at hand. Don’t let “religion” get in the way of all the good that is accomplished. Many in my AA home group are Buddhist, not church-goers at all, and participate in a lot of service work through religious organizations that have the funds to support these causes.

2 Likes

Yes, of course. I’m mainly hoping the religion aspect doesn’t get in the way of me getting this job where I know I can help people is all. They’re the ones who want me to agree with their agenda just to be involved. But I pled my case and am waiting on a response email. I doubt they’ll accept me :joy::sob: but that’s fine I’ll just look at other places where I can be of use

1 Like

I am guessing that they don’t expect you to change religions and/or preach any gospels. They just don’t want you to promote anything that goes against their beliefs.

But I could be wrong.

I think it’s wonderful that you want to give back this way. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Yes I’d never preach anything religious or spiritual in any setting tbh . unless someone wanted to have a conversation about it or something

1 Like

If you know any current or past employees, I’d ask them. I’m very spiritual and lean on my higher power, but I wouldn’t be comfortable shoving religious doctrine down anyone’s throat. I know things will work out. It is fantastic what you are doing to help others.

2 Likes

In the United States, George W Bush passed a bunch of legislative laws that allow faith-based groups to have access to government funding for philanthropic/human services. He supposedly did this because there was a shortage of social service professionals. Here’s something that I got off of the internet.

“The United States Supreme Court has said that faith-based organizations may not use direct government support to support “inherently religious” activities. Basically, it means you cannot use any part of a direct Federal grant to fund religious worship, instruction, or proselytization. Instead, organizations may use government money only to support the non-religious social services that they provide. Therefore, faith-based organizations that receive direct governmental funds should take steps to separate, in time or location, their inherently religious activities from the government-funded services that they offer.”

“Such organizations should also carefully account for their use of all government money. This does not mean your organization can’t have religious activities. It simply means you can’t use taxpayer dollars to fund them.”

https://www.hhs.gov/answers/grants-and-contracts/what-are-the-rules-on-funding-religious-activity-with-federal-money/index.html

With that being said, I’m sure it’s next to impossible to tell whether or not these organizations use federal funds to proselytize or not… I have a hunch that they do and they just go unchecked. The Department of Justice says that these organizations do have to apply and that there isn’t a set amount of money that automatically goes to them annually. However, there are about 19,000 faith-based organizations in the US. It’s advantageous for them to provide such services so that workers and clergy members can receive tax cuts. (Churches themselves are already exempt from paying taxes.)

2 Likes

Pretty much the main reason I neither do AA or NA. While they aren’t religious in that way, their program still suggest that “You’ll surrender to a higher power” there’s no way I’m ever going to do that again.

It might sound stupid because I know I do need some help to stay in track. But coming from a very toxic religious childhood there’s no chance I’ll surrender to any kind of higher power, ever. No matter what kind of God or higher Power you believe in.

I’d say I’m spiritual in some ways, but not in a way that I believe someone else or the power of universe is in charge of my life. And I won’t give them the cred for it either.

However I do know that AA and NA helps a lot people. And I do know that church also does. “My church” have a big program for addicts for example and I guess it’s a good thing for some. Just not for me.

4 Likes

I relate to that too. Christianity was forced on me and I was made to go to church every Sunday and then they gaslit me later in life and said “yOu lOvEd It ThO” when I didn’t and I was just a clueless child doing what I was made to do ? And now I do witchcraft LMAO :skull_and_crossbones: I think it’s safe to say their pushing didn’t work.

1 Like